real time web analytics
Report - - Fernhurst Mill - Chadderton - January 2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fernhurst Mill - Chadderton - January 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
FERNHURST MILL - CHADDERTON

I tried to pay this mill in early December, but was not too sure whether it was still in use or if all the security cameras were working, the demolition vehicles and signs arrived just before Christmas and then the reports on here. Time for another visit and add my report!

1-2.jpg

A VERY BRIEF HISTORY

Fernhurst Mill was built in 1905 and was one of many mills in the region designed by the Oldham architects Stott and Sons. Cotton production ceased in 1964 and in recent years the mill was home to Constellation Luggage (now Japinda Group Limited).

It is a very good example of a state of the art Edwardian Mill, using the latest technology of the time, characterized by the use of horizontal bands of yellow brick above the window, and terracotta ornamentation.

The width of a mill was determined by the size of its spinning mules, and by the time this mill was built they were at least 134 feet wide. This made them much more efficient than the 99 foot mules from the 1860's. However, the wider floors meant there was a greater need for internal light, and so for bigger windows.

Sadly it is now being demolished after regeneration plans for the 9.35 acre site were submitted to Oldham Council.

THE VISIT

Fernhurst Mill today was plan B, thankfully plan A was aborted. I'm glad I managed to make it here before the demolition work fully gets underway, a fantastic structure which hasn't been too trashed inside. The report starts at the basement and then heads up through the mill.

Basement room

2-2.jpg

The engine room from the basement level

3-3.jpg

Passageway to the engine room

4-2.jpg

Entrance to the engine room

5-1.jpg

The roof of the engine room

6-1.jpg

Old workings high in the engine room

7.jpg

8-1.jpg

The first floor

9-1.jpg

Work station

10-1.jpg

The obligatory chair shot

11.jpg

Glad I'm not a Brian

12.jpg

Timber floors

13.jpg

The fantastic models of Oldham on the upper floor

15.jpg

14.jpg

The end

16.jpg

Glad I managed to see this place before it goes, haven't looked at all the reports on the mill so hope I have managed to get a few different images. If not happy I've managed to document this place for myself.​

Last edited: