Report - - Fernhurst Mill Oldham 01/2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fernhurst Mill Oldham 01/2011



Decided to have a look at this place on our way back from Wales yesterday.
Visited with Dubchester,this place is up for demo which is a crying shame,
the engine house is one of the best ive seen the tile work is fantastic and its huge.The only problem is theres no natural daylight at all which makes it a nightmare for photos , ive included a couple in the report but they dont give the place justice .

Cant find much info on the mill so ive got a little on the guy that built it.


Stott and Sons was an architectural practice in Greater Manchester between 1847 and 1931. It specialised in cotton mills, designing 191 buildings of which 130 were mills or buildings related to the cotton industry. Abraham Henthorn Stott was born on 25 April 1822 in the parish of Crompton[2]. He served a seven year apprenticeship with Sir Charles Barry, the architect of the Houses of Parliament and Manchester Art Gallery. Abraham returned to Oldham in 1847 and founded the architectural practice of A H Stott. It was known for his innovative structural engineering. His brotherJoseph Stott in 1866 started his career here before leaving to start his own practice. Three of his nine children worked in the practice. Jesse Ainsworth Stott became the senior partner.Philip Sydney Stott spent three years in the practice before starting his own. After Abraham's retirement his practice was renamed Stott and Sons.





The firm of A.H.Stott probably started in Clegg Street, Oldham in 1847. The owner Abraham Henthorn Stott, had just finished his architectural apprenticeship with Charles Barry's practice. It is thought that he obtained this position through the influence Jesse Ainsworth. In deed. on the 30th December 1851 he married Jesse's niece Elizabeth or Eliza Ainsworth. The Ainsworths were prominent land and property owners in Oldham ; the first identified mill that A.H.Stott designed was room and power mill, Summervale Mill, Fletcher Street, Oldham for Jesse or Hannah Ainsworth (née Lees). The Lees were another prominent Oldham family.


70s throwback



this corridor still have the original paint on the walls

Stott and Son lead by A.Henthorn Stott, Jun., were big players in mill building in the twentieth century. Of the 16.8 million spindles that were added between 1900 and 1914, 2.61 million of them were in the 24 mills designed by Stott and Son. These mills were distinctive, embracing the flamboyant architecture of that time. Considerable attention was give to the water tower that would usually advertise the name of the mill, or when the water tower was too elaborate, on the parapet of the main will block. They used pitched roofs shielded by parapets. Stott and Son favoured Byzantine style water towers, the use of horizontal bands of yellow brick above the window, and terracotta ornamentation. They Examples are the Goyt Mill, Marple (1905), Broadstone No.1 Mill], Reddish (1904) andCoppull Ring Mill (1905) that had identical water tower, Fernhurst Mill, Chadderton (1905), Butt's Mill, Leigh (1907), Pear Mill, Stockport (1907), Ram Mill, Chadderton (1907).....









Thanks for looking Oldskool​