real time web analytics
Question - - First aid kit | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - First aid kit

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

D

DizzyDuke

Okay, so I had a quick look round, but the search button did not yield anything. :(

I was wondering what do you guys use in terms of first aid kits (if anything). I was thinking of just getting a simple kit that I could use if I gash open a leg or something, it has to be small and light weight so that I can carry it round without it getting in the way. I found quite a few on Amazon that seemed like they may be useful.

Any recommendations? I am about to go out on my first exploration next week and whilst it is nothing big I thought it best to be prepared.

These were some of the ones I was looking at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000MWRF5Y/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0BMGN0XHMQE4DAC3YW25&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000XY51UC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0BMGN0XHMQE4DAC3YW25&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

The ones aimed at motorists seem to have equipment for things like cuts and crushed wind pipes, which would be more useful I guess. :thumb

Raddog

28DL Full Member
Plasters for little cuts and a small field dressing for if you get a big bleeding wound...

mrjonesybop

Derp?
28DL Full Member
I've done numerous First Aid at work, First Bike on Scene courses etc - so I carry a small but comprehensive kit.

It comprises of:

2 x Pairs Latex gloves
1 x Face-shield (for mouth to mouth)
4 x Alcohol wipes
1 x pair of small scissors
1 x pair tweezers
1 x small bottle of eyewash
Small bandages and safety pins
Plasters of various shapes and sizes
1 x Blister pack of Asprin

All fits into a bag smaller than a bean-tin.

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
1 x Blister pack of Asprin

Blimey, welcome to the 1940's - junk them mate and carry paracetamol.

(half an aspirin is good if you are having a heart attack- but aspirin for pain control is uber old-fasioned, and can increase bleeding if you are injured)

I carry a small - but well stuffed first-aid kit - however I probably should junk it and use the space saved to carry decent food - because the item I seem to use most regularly out of my first-aid kit are the indigestion tablets :p

BenCooper

Mr Boombastic
28DL Full Member
Paracetamol has it's problems too - some people (like me) are allergic to it. Aspirin is wonderful stuff, but Ibuprofen is also good.

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
Paracetamol has it's problems too - some people (like me) are allergic to it. .

Bet your not really 'allergic' to it, I've worked in Pain Management for the NHS for over 20 years, I get about 4 patients a week that believe they are - I've actually found one that truely was in all that time. :rolleyes:

What some people are allergic to are the buffering agents used in some makes of tablet - after all the tablet is about 1% drug and 99% starch, talk, guar gum, bulking agents etc.

Often just changing the make of tablet solves the problem

Last edited:

BenCooper

Mr Boombastic
28DL Full Member
Bet your not really 'allergic' to it ...

Interesting - when I say allergic, I mean blinding, spots in front of my eyes headaches pretty much right away. But the smaller quantities in Lemsip don't seem to have the same effect so you may well be right.