real time web analytics
Report - - Fison Fertilizer Factory and Squibb's demo yard Water Tower - Thurrock - January 2013 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fison Fertilizer Factory and Squibb's demo yard Water Tower - Thurrock - January 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bhg

In Search of Lost Time
Regular User
Fison Fertilizer Factory

I visited this site on my way back home from Kelvedon. I checked previous reports and it looked quite interesting. Place is devastated, part of it was flooded with water, some nice graffiti there.
Great view from the top of the building, shame it was so foggy this day..

History (borrowed):
At their new factory in Essex, Fisons Fertilizers Limited began in 1959 the manufacture of ammonium nitrate for use in Fisons compound fertilisers. This salt provides nitrogen, one of the three essential elements of all plant food, in a highly concentrated form, with resultant advantages to the farmer. As a starting material for the manufacture of ammonium nitrate, anhydrous ammonia of high purity (99.9 per cent minimum, with an oil content of 15 p.p.m. maximum) is used, and is purchased from an adjacent plant operated by Shell Chemical Company Ltd at Shell Haven. Here ammonia is made synthetically from the nitrogen of the air and from hydrogen obtained from oil by the Shell gasification process, and is delivered to Fisons by pipeline as a liquid under pressure. The ammonia is stored on the Fison site in a 2,000-ton insulated spherical tank, the largest of its kind in Europe, at 55 p.s.i.g. and 4'C. The raw material is converted by two processes into ammonium nitratefirst, by catalytic oxidation followed by absorption to form nitric acid, and second, by neutralisation of the acid with further ammonia to produce a hot concentrated (88 per cent) solution of ammonium nitrate in water, which is despatched by road and rail to Fisons compounding factories in various parts of the country. We shall be concerned here only with the catalytic process for making nitric acid."
Fisons Fertilizers Limited began in 1959 the manufacture of ammonium nitrate for use in Fisons compound fertilisers. The company became defunct in the mid 1990's, although the factory was sold off in 1982.

Pics here:

P1090194.jpg

P1090196.jpg

P1090197.jpg

P1090199.jpg

P1090198.jpg

P1090220.jpg

P1090218.jpg

P1090223.jpg

Roof:
P1090203.jpg

P1090204.jpg

P1090205.jpg

P1090211.jpg

Squibb's demo yard Water Tower

I saw this (which wasn't difficult :rolleyes:) while driving down to Fisons. It's located right in the middle of the busy Squibb's demo yard. On my way back, after trying to take some pictures from outside the fence, which didn't work:crazy, I decided to ask some demo yard workers to let me in there. It looked a bit surreal - a big white tower surrounded by some containers, big pile of rubbish, concrete etc. I really love this type of buildings, really impressive.
I thought that it would be great to climb it, unfortunately inside staircase has been removed..
Couldn't really find information about the tower, Im not sure if it was a part of Fison's Factory, there might have been another factory, now demolished, and only the white water tower has survived.

Pics here:

P1090225.jpg

P1090230.jpg

P1090229.jpg

P1090228.jpg

P1090232.jpg