real time web analytics
Report - - Florance Iron Ore Mine Cumbria 11-2012 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Florance Iron Ore Mine Cumbria 11-2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Florance Iron Ore Mine Cumbria, Whilst visiting the Kangol factory i new this was in the area so decided to pay a little visit, not knowing if this was still in use or open to the public the only to know is to have a looksy. the site itself is very small but very unique, the site was closed however their is a visitor centre and arts studio but the main buildings were not open and the site seems too have been closed a while. The the main main buildings were of more interest and unfortunately i could only manage to get into the winding house and a couple of out buildings as well as going up the head stock which in it's self is like taking your life in your own hands, the stairs leading to the top are rotten to say the least but worth it for the views, not a bad little site to visit if your in the area.

Florence was an Iron ore mine, one of many iron ore shafts in the area and the last deep working mine in Europe. When British Steel Corporation closed Florence in 1980, a group of miners decided to keep them going under the name of the Egremont Mining Company.

Known as haematite, the red ore within the limestone layers, was common. First mined here in the 1830s the dust covered buildings and the people who worked there, giving rise the phrase ‘the red men'

The ore was used in steel making, for producing pig iron. The small amount of ore still produced is annealing ore, used to extract carbon from castings and in pigment extraction for paint and cosmetics.

Florance-a.jpg

Florance-b.jpg
Florance-c.jpg

Florance-d.jpg

Florance-e.jpg

Florance-f.jpg
Florance-g.jpg

Florance-h.jpg

Florance-hh.jpg
Florance-i.jpg

Florance-j.jpg

Florance-jj.jpg