real time web analytics
Report - - Flushed Away CSO – Macclesfield – August 2020 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Flushed Away CSO – Macclesfield – August 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
I’d been interested in having a butcher’s at this one for about 10 years or so, ever since JD posted up a photo of it on sub-urban.com
Earlier this year there had been some discussions about this place. The lockdown then came along, and with the drains in London beckoning I forgot about it.

Anyway, I had to visit a nearby village at the weekend to assist with a family matter and it occurred to me that I could finally get this one ticked off the list on the way there. I made a call to concreteJungle in the hope he might be free. As luck would have it, he happened to have a couple of hours to spare, so arrangements were put in place.
Fortunately, the weather was perfect. In fact, only hours earlier it was extremely hot. We still needed to keep alert however as there were some dark clouds gathering on the horizon.

The rather large CSO chamber suggests that this place can get quite lively in a very short space of time. Getting flushed away was not on today’s agenda.

The chamber is roughly 80ft long and the incoming sewer about 6ft in diameter. A pair of Longwood Stormguard motorised screens are suspended at the incoming end of the chamber at the top of the weir. It would appear from its condition that one of the screens does not work and probably hasn’t for some time. I always wonder how often these things are inspected and maintained once they are buried deep underground. Probably not often I suspect.

At the other end of the sewer channel a 3ft gap allows the outgoing water to pass. A short way beyond here, the flow bifurcates and feeds two parallel online storage tanks with a combined capacity of 5000 cubic metres to further reduce spills from this CSO.

Up in the overflow part of the chamber, the water can spill either side of the sewer and then flow down the wide steps before leaving the chamber via a 6ft high box culvert which leads off down to the river Bollin.

About three quarters of the way down the culvert, my wander was curtailed as the tunnel splits into two 3ft high sections which run parallel to each other before meeting the river.

The final photo, courtesy of concreteJungle, shows the grilled outfall into the river sporting the ubiquitous array of wet wipes and jamrags.

It was good to finally get this little puzzler crossed off the list. Thanks CJ for being free at short notice!

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice writeup and shots. It's always good to satisfy one's curiosity as to what's down these places, shame that in retrospect it's a pretty standard CSO apart from the steps. JD took the best shot the place had to offer.

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Nice to see this place again, and photographed so nicely too! Not seen it myself, and it goes without saying that my remaining list is going to be a lot longer than yours, but it’s on there! I’m always pleasantly pleased to see how cool concrete drains can be too.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Nice shots, is this the place where there was discussion about a lid on a path that might go into this place?
It looked apealing until you mentioned sewage lol.

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Nice writeup and shots. It's always good to satisfy one's curiosity as to what's down these places, shame that in retrospect it's a pretty standard CSO apart from the steps. JD took the best shot the place had to offer.

Cheers CJ. Yes most of it was just the usual CSO setup but the steps and outfall culvert were a nice feature.

very good pics its a good size thanks for sharing this :thumb

Glad you like it jezzyboo!

Nice to see this place again, and photographed so nicely too! Not seen it myself, and it goes without saying that my remaining list is going to be a lot longer than yours, but it’s on there! I’m always pleasantly pleased to see how cool concrete drains can be too.

Thanks tarkovsky. The things with these lists is that no sooner have you crossed one thing off, another gets added, which of course is good or you'd run out of stuff to do.

Nice shots, is this the place where there was discussion about a lid on a path that might go into this place?
It looked apealing until you mentioned sewage lol.

There were various discussions of where it might have been I think.
To be fair, there's not much sewage in these places when it isn't raining and the smell isn't really that bad.

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
Nice one and now I know exactly where it is
I tried crawling downfrom the outfall and gave up
Popping here soon :D

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Good job mate. Nice to finally see pics of this. Doing drains beats talking about them :thumb

Cheers, it was quite satisfying to see what was actually down there.
I do like a good chat about drains but as you say nothing beats getting in there and having a good explore! :D

Had to google that phrase lol.

It's not exactly a popular word but I like the sound of it. Can't imagine it gets a great deal of use.

Nice one and now I know exactly where it is
I tried crawling downfrom the outfall and gave up
Popping here soon :D

Thanks PP, I had a feeling you would recognise the outfall.
It's worth a visit if you are passing by.

NuBoid

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice pics and report as usual Mr Vicar
It all looks very modern, posh and contemporary down there.... ha ha ....drainage equivalent of stopping at the Hilton :cool: haha
Its fine anchoring after a bit of ancient stone and brickwork but still cant beat concrete and steel now and then :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 232) View details