real time web analytics
Report - - Force Crag Mine, Cumbria - July 2009 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Force Crag Mine, Cumbria - July 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

parkus.

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Operating from 1839 until 1991, Force Crag is situated in the Coledale Valley and mined a combination of lead, zinc and barytes throughout the years. Ownership changed many times through it's lifetime, each experiencing various levels of success. Tours of the crushing mill are put on a few times a year by the National Trust, meaning the buildings are locked up tight.

Force Crag used both 1ft 10in and 2ft 0in gauge railways, originally connecting the mine to a nearby town intil it's later years when lorries were used. The Marsden jaw crusher, located near No.1 adit, is capable of processing 32-tons of ore and passing it onto the 50ft conveyor to the 1909-built crushing mill. Both adits are (as far as I can see) blocked so many feet in, but both have streams running out of them and on into the Coledale Beck, since water power was utilised until the mid-20th century.

No.1 level adit

DSCF2012.jpg

Marsden jaw crusher

DSCF2015.jpg

Crushing mill

DSCF2018.jpg

DSCF2020.jpg

Force Crag, now with onsite toilet facilities..

DSCF2023.jpg

DSCF2025.jpg

DSCF2028.jpg

Loading dock

DSCF2030.jpg

No.0 level adit

DSCF2036.jpg

doubleboost

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Last year acces was still possible in to the No 2 levell it was then possible to accend the incline to the top levell and exit there .The incline is an amazing place it cuts the mountain in two.