real time web analytics
Report - - Force Crag mine - Lake District - August 2015 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Force Crag mine - Lake District - August 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

danman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Force Crag Mine was the last working metal mine in the Lake District, prior to its final abandonment in 1991. The site was mined for lead from 1839 until 1865, and for zinc and barytes from 1867. The job of the mill was to separate these minerals from each other, and from any other minerals and the country rock.

The mill buildings that are now there were built in 1908-9. The mill contains the ore-refining machinery that was in use during the 1980s and until is closed, along with some earlier equipment. It is the only former mineral mining site in the country that has retained its processing equipment in something approaching complete order.

IMG_0906.JPG

A view of Force Crag mine, while descending Grisedale Pike.
IMG_0918.JPG

The main building, where the ore was processed.
IMG_0928.JPG
The tramway would come through here on its way to be processed.
IMG_0935.JPG

IMG_0924.JPG

This is the 'Grizzly hopper' it would crush the ore, so it could be processed.
IMG_0921.JPG

The 'Grizzly hopper'.
IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0922.JPG

The tramway that would transport ore from the 'Grizzly hopper'.
IMG_0931.JPG

One of the mine entrances.
IMG_0911.JPG

A collapsed mine entrance.
IMG_0915.JPG

This is the force crag mine water treatment plant and is treating the metal-rich water of Coledale beck to improve the aquatic environment and water quality down stream.

Attachments

• IMG_0913.JPG
    IMG_0913.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 120

The Franconian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice
what may these balls under the stairs in pic 4 have been used for ? in a crusher maybe?

Last edited:

trailboss99

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
"Grizzly" refers to the bars on the top that separate the big rock (too big to be crushed) from the smaller stuff. This stops big boulders from jamming the crusher. These are referred to as grizzly bars and these look to be rail line that is commonly used for the purpose.