real time web analytics
Report - - Forgotten Church and the Lost Cemetery, Spain | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Forgotten Church and the Lost Cemetery, Spain

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Max Speed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
First of all apologies for being vague about the location.I´ve only ever seen two photos from outside the church and one of the cemetry and stumbled upon them by chance,so with the help of good old google maps I set about finding them.It wasnt that hard really as some friendly trekking guy had listed his route on a blog link.
The church or should I say ´Ermita´was built in 1874 for the small fishing village which has now gone forever to be replaced by one of Spain´s largest petro chemical plants,the cemetery carries a date stone dating back to 1877.Remarkably they are both in a reasonable state with no graffiti whatsoever,I put that down to them being hidden away and also that theres a bit of walking involved to reach them.
I first came upon the cemetery which is totally overgrown,a lot of the graves are open which I put down to the families having exhumed the bodies for re-burial rather than an invasion of the body snatchers.I had to tread carefully so as not to end up in the bottom of an empty grave and with no mobile coverage didnt fancy being left for dead there myself.
Enough of the waffle and on with the photos...

Entrance to the cemetery with date stone 1877

cementerio_zps66d3ba3f.jpg

It all had a spaghetti western feel to it

elcementario3_zps1ba2c37d.jpg

On second thoughts,if the families removed the bodies would they break the headstone?

cementario2_zpsa4bdaa95.jpg

cementario3_zps2b4126f1.jpg

11_zpse0acdf8e.jpg

cementario4_zpsdab60ad8.jpg

ermita10_zpsbb22bac8.jpg

_MG_3462_zpsf71599c8.jpg

At this point I was bursting for a leak so decided out of respect to leave the cemetery and make my way down to the church..on entering I almost shit myself as about a dozen pigeons decided to make a break for it...the inside was completely bare..apart from piles of pigeon shit...but the wall decor was impressive its really stood the test of time.

ermita_zps4067bd6d.jpg

ermita4_zps0141a86c.jpg

ermita7_zpsd4a7312e.jpg

ermita6_zpsea42f3e2.jpg

thought better of trying the stairs
ermita12_zpse2533a39.jpg

there is a small side building to the church...the chair definitely isnt from 1874
laermita2_zpsdf67b37e.jpg

ermita11_zps5a7b43fb.jpg

laermita3_zps275e1445.jpg

theres still a lot more to explore in this area so I´ll be back down there soon..

Thanks for looking :thumb

Hector Rex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Forgotten Church and the Lost Cemetery,Spain

Looks like an interesting place! bet it has some interesting history too! well done!

HR

Max Speed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

cheers ...cant find a lot about it though,only the year of construction and that it was known by two different names...i just hope it stays in the state that it is and doesnt get found by the knobheads..

MBE

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Interesting, your fourth pic says RIP on the broken cross rather than the Spanish DEP as seen in later pics. There lies the body of an English speaker methinks.

RIP rest in peace, DEP descansa en paz

Max Speed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

MBE...I thought the same at first but was told it is Latin ´Requiescant in pace´

spart

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

a lot of the graves are open which I put down to the families having exhumed the bodies for re-burial rather than an invasion of the body snatchers.

[

Perhaps they've risen!

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details