Web
Analytics
Report - - Former Derby Cinema, Liverpool Oct 09 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Former Derby Cinema, Liverpool Oct 09



Bovine

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
This forgotten building on Scotland Road has an interesting history.
Built as a Methodist Church in 1843, extended in 1865 and became a cinema in 1912. A wider extension was added to the rear in 1929.
It survived as the Derby until 14 May 1960. When it became a cinema, the front was extended for the foyer, projection room, etc, but when it was converted to a car showroom, the balcony and stairs were removed and the upstairs was sealed up!
Latterly a funeral directors, it is now derelict.
Removal of the false ceiling has revealed the proscenium, the curved 1929 ceiling and the 1865 church ceiling as well. The cellars contain a large mouldering oil boiler, the heating pipes (car showroom) are visible in the auditorium shots.
Access was gained, with much difficulty, to the sealed off portion. It was an eerie feeling to be the first person to walk up the projection room steps in 48 years!!!! Everything had a thick layer of dust and was in darkness, due to the cladding. A sample of the film on the floor is shown, preserved by the cold, dry atmosphere.

c259.jpg


c338.jpg


c343.jpg


c1294.jpg


c1288.jpg


c1286.jpg


c1287.jpg


c1311.jpg


c1331.jpg


c1316.jpg


c1321.jpg


c1323.jpg


c1326.jpg


c1329.jpg


c1333.jpg
 

Attachments

Similar threads