real time web analytics
Report - - Former Radio Transmitter Building -Farnham - Jan 2011 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Former Radio Transmitter Building -Farnham - Jan 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TrevBish

www.TrevBish.co.uk
28DL Full Member
Single storey former depot/operations builidng serving the former Radio Transmitter which is now redundant. The building is essentially
of brick construction with a corrugated asbestos roof.

Sorry there are'nt many pictures taken up the tower. The whole tower is made of wood and is coverd in moss and mould, I went to the first level and the wood ladder seemed to make noises and I bottled it! I plan a re-visit all the way to the top! No access to the building.

DSCF0241.jpg

DSCF0242.jpg

DSCF0243.jpg

DSCF0246.jpg

DSCF0249.jpg

DSCF0251.jpg

DSCF0252.jpg

DSCF0253.jpg

DSCF0254.jpg

DSCF0255.jpg

DSCF0257.jpg

DSCF0260.jpg

DSCF0262.jpg

Fifth horseman

28DL Member
28DL Member
Re: Former Radio Transmitter Building -Farnham

Wooden structures like this are "interesting" to climb as they do tend to "talk" to you, the problem is in interpreting the noises. Remember that timber has more give than steel. Fewer towers like this seem to be built like this now, presumably due to cost. Wood was chosen because it doesn't interfere with radio waves in the way that a steel structure can. Interestingly, some comms towers are built with steel but with a wooden top section where the antennae are mounted for this reason.
From the antenna type it looks like it was used for military ATC comms - possibly linked to Farnborough when that was an RAF unit.
Hooped ladders - definitely NOT my favourite access method without any additional fall arrest equipment, any impression of safety they give is completely superficial, an open ladder is probably safer as if you fall the only thing you will hit is the ground (not a lot of consolation, but at least you reach the ground in one piece).
That said - the tower looks to be in reasonable condition and will provide a good view from the top.