real time web analytics
Report - - Former Wakefield Theatre Club/Wimpy bar/ Bowling Alley - Sept 2016 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Former Wakefield Theatre Club/Wimpy bar/ Bowling Alley - Sept 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Robbo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The bowling alley, Wimpey restaurant and bar on Doncaster Road it was made into a Super bowl in 1989 & a Wimpy burger bar. (The last of when it closed) It was formally the Wakefield variety club, hosting many a famous acts such as Shirley bassey, Tom Jones, The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Tony Bennet & many other entertainers from around the country. It had many investment money put into it but sadly went onto decline.

It is now in a state of demolition, a sad site to see. I explored this just as they started to taking it down, stripped bare of most items, many were put up for auction prior to closing to recoup the liquidation of the premises costs/losses. The place is practically levelled now.

The site is up for redevelopment for a rumoured supermarket

66847bac-719f-4442-ae5b-a47da952d301.jpg

Just before demo

sbowl%2097.jpg

Jacuzzi

sbowl%2083.jpg

What was left of the gym area

sbowl%20102.jpg

The work shop

sbowl%20104.jpg

Sadly no one serving ..

sbowl%2085.jpg

One of the alleys

sbowl%2048.jpg

I did pick up a few bowls & pins for posterity

sbowl%20112.jpg

The bowling pin machinery

sbowl%2094.jpg

sbowl%2095.jpg

sbowl%20144.jpg

The bowling alleys

sbowl%20141.jpg

Not much left

sbowl%20135.jpg

Peeking through to the demise of this place

sbowl%20139.jpg

Last edited:

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
I was made aware of this shortly after demolition started, and I visit Wakefield often so I was unhappy to have missed it - hence my previous interest. Looks like it would have been good before demolition started, shame it was always tight. Thanks for getting the report up :)

Robbo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was made aware of this shortly after demolition started, and I visit Wakefield often so I was unhappy to have missed it - hence my previous interest. Looks like it would have been good before demolition started, shame it was always tight. Thanks for getting the report up :)

Always a pleasure to Explore & report

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
never thought i"s see you in a Health Club Mate :D

Better than i imagined it would look inside :thumb i thought the Bowling side would have been long gone with the conversion of the Health Club.

It"s ironic it was so well sealed for all this time, only to be flatterned.

Robbo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
never thought i"s see you in a Health Club Mate :D

Better than i imagined it would look inside :thumb i thought the Bowling side would have been long gone with the conversion of the Health Club.

It"s ironic it was so well sealed for all this time, only to be flatterned.

Hey, im healthy living now man.! PM me if you've done owt of interest