real time web analytics
Report - - former worksop pumping station | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - former worksop pumping station

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

farmer.ned

magic.clean
28DL Full Member
it was actually a last minute decision to visit this explore.
en route home from doing the manton colliery explore i passed the fomer pumping station at bracebridge with a shall i or sha,nt i so a quick turn round of the car
i squeezed in behind some twat in a skoda who thought it a very good idea to park across the entrance who then decided to move and the explore was on.

Built in 1881 Bracebridge Pumping Station was part of Worksop's new sewage system. It used two steam-driven beam engines (together with a travelling crane) to pump the sewage to the effluent processing facility. The engine was coal-fired, with the coal being brought in from nearby Shireoaks Colliery by boat via the Chesterfield Canal. Like many Victorian pumping stations it was built with no little style, designed in an Italian Romanesque style including ornate cast-iron columns and a spiral staircase. Apparently these remain inside (the columns are most definitely visible on external view).

Now Grade II Listed, the building along with 1.33 acres of land is currently bricked yp to prevent access so sorry no interior shots
the old pumping station has been like this since it was refurbished many years ago there was talk of turning it into an attraction but nothing has happened yet and possibly wont do for the forseeable future
004.JPG
the old pumping station viewed from high hoe road
028.JPG

the old beds still filled with water
032.JPG

one of the victorian columns can still be seen through the windowless building
034.JPG

rising upwards towards the ornate chimney
039.JPG

a closer view of the ornate victorian columns
044.JPG

the base of the chimney from the back of the pumping house
045.JPG

the rear of the pumphouse
049.JPG

the rear of the pumphouse and chimney
052.JPG

the middle of the chimney with the lightning conductor on the right
054.JPG

the top of the chimney and the lightning conductor
057.JPG
058.JPG

someone had gained access inside by a rope tied to one of the windows but feeling a bit cream crackered i didnt fancy the tarzan routine so i didnt bother

Last edited:

Giymo85

Amateur and proud
28DL Full Member
What a beautiful building! Product of a time when things were designed to look fantastic as well as function. They really don't make them like they used to.