Web
Analytics
Report - - Fort 7, Antwerp, Belgium, August 2011 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Fort 7, Antwerp, Belgium, August 2011

Weeble

Having a blonde moment
28DL Full Member
#1
Visited with Catullus. We were ripped to shreds by brambles visiting this place, and I lost a pair of trousers to the barbed wire fence!

Some history (from http://members.fortunecity.com/milit/fortress.htm).

The Antwerp Fortress Ring

In order to provide adequate protection, a ring of fortresses was build by General Henri Alexis Brialmont (1821-1903), around Antwerpen, starting from the year 1859 until 1914.

An initial fortress defense line was build from 1859 until 1879. (called 'safety ring' in 1906) This line was difficult to defend, as these fortresses were build from brick and were only 5 to 6 km away from the city. Eight fortresses were constructed numbered 1 to 8.

A more powerful line of resistance - much further away from the city (10 to 15 km) - was build from 1870 to 1906 and later extended from 1906 to 1914 when more funds became available. In 1906, this ring was called the 'main resistance line'.

A total of 22 fortresses were build and numerous smaller redoubts (a small fortified resistance point or minor defence work - called 'Schans' or 'redoubt') , making up a ring around Antwerp of 95 km. In 1914, each fort was standing roughly 5 km from the next one and in between two fortresses a redoubt could be found.
Photos:

c3600aae.jpg


b1ff8bfa.jpg


e9adc397.jpg


acfc25e0.jpg


c66036c3.jpg


cfffc29d.jpg


bca4fe91.jpg


f603bfb1.jpg
 

Attachments