real time web analytics
Report - - Fort Burgoyne Dover Sept 2011 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fort Burgoyne Dover Sept 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

urbanginger

Ginger til I die
28DL Full Member
Fort Burgoyne, well where to start. Attempted this one a few months back with no luck just wandered around in the dark for a few hours trying to get in. Anyway we gave up and i decided it was time for another go. So with the assistance of my brother in law Andy( he has yet to be christianed with an explorerers alias)we set of into the darkness.

A bit of history (borrowed from Undergroundkent) before some pics

Fort Burgoyne was designed (as one of the famous 'Palmerston Forts') to protect the North Spur area of Dover Castle which was perceived as a weak spot in the defences and the most likely approach for an invading army. Work started on the construction of the fort in 1861, and it was completed by 1868 for a total cost of £88,000.

The polygonal fort is surrounded by a 35 foot wide dry ditch with a double caponier giving flanking fire along the ditch from the northern point. In the centre of the fort is the parade ground surrounded on three sides by bomb proof barracks. Originally armed with 29 guns on the ramparts (6 of them in Haxo casemates), by the early 1900's these guns had disappeared to be replaced by 3 machine guns. The two World Wars saw further changes, with concrete and brick structures being added.
So here we go with some pics, there not great as im still practicing and the last few are taken with flash as my camera batteries were dying. brand new duracells too lol.

Well anyway here they are

fortburgoyne005.jpg

fortburgoyne007.jpg

fortburgoyne008.jpg

fortburgoyne010.jpg

fortburgoyne011.jpg

fortburgoyne013.jpg

fortburgoyne014.jpg

fortburgoyne015.jpg

fortburgoyne021.jpg

fortburgoyne022.jpg

fortburgoyne023.jpg