real time web analytics
Report - - Forth Rail Bridge - Edinburgh - June '08 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Forth Rail Bridge - Edinburgh - June '08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

W

wee_truck

Hi all – This is my first report so I hope it’s of an acceptable level of interest, also I don’t have pro camera although maybe one day!

As title – this is of the Forth Rail Bridge.

A few facts
I have heard over the years (plenty of history available so I won’t say too much) a few bits and pieces of information about the bridge. I think the general story is that when the original Forth designer engineer Thomas Bouch made the Dee bridge and it collapsed after opening [incidentally that’s allegedly where the term “bodge job” came from], he was pulled off the project and it was given to the current designers. I heard that is why the bridge starts of with peers from each bank before the design change to a cantilever in the centre, but that may be a wives tale. I do know that the engineers who continued the project were sufficiently worried about it collapsing that it is in many places between 9 and 12 times over engineered.

These pictures are from a year or two ago whilst the current contractor was (still is) undertaking a maintenance contract to bead blast the entire structure and repaint with a coating fit to last for to years.

Quite a common subject for photography and I’ve seen a few people sneaking about at night – but here are a few day shots.

P1000307.jpg

P1000311.jpg

3. - See if you can spot these from the road bridge!
P1000351.jpg

4. Inchgarvie
P1000342.jpg

P1000319.jpg

P1000335.jpg

7. - New vs Old
P1000328.jpg

P1000356.jpg

Needless to say… the view is amazing!

Comments welcome - good or bad, Cheers

Just wanted to add - I did have permission to be here, and I haven't had a chance to go out sneaking about since finding the forum, just wanted to put somthing back into the forum! :)

Last edited by a moderator: