real time web analytics
Report - - Forum/ABC, Liverpool, Jan 20 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Forum/ABC, Liverpool, Jan 20

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
History

Opened as the Forum Cinema on 16th May 1931 with Clifford Mollison in “Almost A Honeymoon”. It was designed by architects William Riddle Glen and Alfred Ernest Shennan for Associated British Cinemas(ABC) at a cost in excess of 200,000 pounds.

A massive six-storey curved Portland stone façade remains a distinctive and highly prominent feature of Lime Street – one of Liverpool’s major thoroughfares and across the street from Liverpool Lime Street Railway Station. The foyer was lined with Italian marble.

The auditorium, in a semi-Atmospheric style, depicted Venetian scenes, contains an amazing proscenium treatment consisting of a vast curved canopy over the arch and the side boxes. Indirect light light was a feature, except for a huge ‘sunburst’ light fitting above the balcony.

A shallow stage was provided together with a Compton 3Manual/12Ranks organ on a lift in front of the stage, which was opened by organist Reginald Foort.

Because of the relatively small width of the site the 1,835 capacity was achieved by having a huge circle containing 750 of the seats.

It was re-named ABC from 17th February 1971 and due to its opulence and excellent location the cinema survived intact until 1982 when it was converted to a three screen operation by installing two mini-cinemas under the balcony seating 272 and 217 seats.

From 1986 it had been re-named Cannon. It closed on 29th January 1998 with a special screening of Humphrey Bogart in “Casablanca”, when a special admission fee of 50p was charged.

There were proposals to convert the building into a conference centre, but these stalled and the building has stood empty since closing. Proposals were put forward in late-2007 to convert it into a ‘boutique’ hotel and supper club, with plans going to Liverpool City Council in July 2008 and if permission was granted, work could start in late-2008. The building remained unused and was de-tripled in 2016. 22 years after closing, the building still sits unused in 2020.

It is Grade II Listed building.

Explore

Visited on a damp night with @UrbandonedTeam and Drew, it’s one I’d wanted to see after seeing reports on here years ago. So when I was asked along I jumped at the chance, and I'm glad I did because there's no way I'd have the bollocks/stupidity to get in how we did. Pretty cool as my mum remembers watching films in here as a kid, which always adds to the experience. Really enjoyed it, I always love a big Art Deco cinema and this doesn't disappoint. Keep meaning to go back and have a look at the original projection room, can't say I remember seeing anything about it.

Pics

A poor phone shot as we left

IMG_5935.jpg

As the Forum

IMG_3517.jpg

When it was ABC

IMG_3520.jpg

Some internals as the forum

IMG_3523.jpg

IMG_3522.jpg

IMG_3516.jpg

As it is today

Forum-ABC-1.jpg

Forum-ABC-11.jpg

Forum-ABC-3.jpg

Forum-ABC-4.jpg

Forum-ABC-6.jpg

Forum-ABC-8.jpg

Forum-ABC-9.jpg

Forum-ABC-10.jpg

Forum-ABC-13.jpg

Forum-ABC-15.jpg

Forum-ABC-17.jpg

Forum-ABC-19.jpg

Forum-ABC-18.jpg

Forum-ABC-21.jpg

Forum-ABC-20.jpg

Forum-ABC-23.jpg

Forum-ABC-22.jpg

Forum-ABC-25.jpg

Forum-ABC-24.jpg

Forum-ABC-27.jpg

Forum-ABC-26.jpg

Forum-ABC-28.jpg

Forum-ABC-29.jpg

Forum-ABC-2.jpg

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice. Liking the comparisons photos. This place is really vibrant. Lovely explore, gaudy colours though lol. :thumb

chills

Queller of the uprising
That’s a stellar report Jay! Shame I couldn’t make it so I’ll have to settle on your photography until the opportunity arises again!

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Look at all that wallpaper peeling of thats a unforgiving site.

Im sure ill be corrected but I suspect that's paint mate.

I liked the ticket machine and lens room.
I somehow missed this when posted, nicely done.

Who has read this thread (Total: 162) View details