Web
Analytics
Report - - Fosters Mill Gloucester 04-2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Fosters Mill Gloucester 04-2012

host

28DL Regular User
Regular User
#1
Foster Brothers Oil and Cake Mill Gloucester, this is the one to the right ABM sits to the left yet to be done by myself, visited this site twice now trying to crack ABM mill as well, not to out done a third and final visit will be in order i think. the mill itself is quite small but has some great features and with the sun shining the plastic covers on the windows give a real yellow glow to the place with all the warm tones of the wood as well it really is a great explore and makes for some interesting shooting. Visited with Hidden Shadow and Old Skool but thanks to Happy Shopper..


The original premises built in 1862 comprised a six storey warehouse adjoining the canal with a two storey extension behind containing the mill machinery. A gabled wooden structure supported by pillars projected over the quay, and an elevator was installed to lift seeds from the quay. In the mill, linseed and cotton seed were crushed, heated and then pressed to extract the oil, and the residual slabs of cake were sold as cattle food. The building was designed by Evesham architect George Hunt and built by local contractors William Eassie & Co


A major expansion of the premises was carried out in 1891-93. A new mill was set up in a long single storey building to the south of the existing warehouse, the original mill was replaced by an extension to the warehouse, and a detached boiler house and a tank house were built to the east. A 400hp Hicks Hargreaves steam engine powered eight sets of oil-seed crushing machinery with an output capacity of 600 tons per week.
Unfortunately, while these developments were underway, part of the quay wall in front of the warehouse moved outwards, and as this threatened the stability of the pillars and the projecting elevator housing above, these were pulled down. In due course the wall was repaired and a new (but less elegant) structure was built on pillars to house the elevator.


fosa.jpg


fosb.jpg


fosc.jpg
fosd.jpg


fose.jpg


fosf.jpg


fosg.jpg


fosh.jpg
fosi.jpg


fosj.jpg


fosk.jpg
fosl.jpg


fosm.jpg


fosn.jpg
foso.jpg


fosp.jpg


fosq.jpg
 

Similar threads