Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Found two places on google maps | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - Found two places on google maps

Jamierr

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So I have found two locations on google maps that seem to be derelict. I would like to know if anyone has any information on these places or knows what they are.

First find:
1533716809601.png

so this is in streetview and is located near the Barbury castle car park shown in the next picture
1533716960248.png

In this satellite image it seems demo'd but i still want some sort of confirmation if anyone has any :)

second find:
1533717099238.png

These blocks had much more graffiti on them when i passed it recently, proving that there is still visitors to this place. It is located on the A346 near chiseldon and next to Caslien south farm.
1533717231587.png

I am thinking that this could be some sort of derelict carpark or the remains of a building that has been demolished. Again, i would like any extra info or confirmation of what the hell this place is.

Thank you for reading :)

This is my first actual post so apologies if it is low quality.

jST

LLS.
Regular User
You'll find that some streetview snapshots are up to 10 years old. A lot happens in 10 years.

Mr Sentimental

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So I have found two locations on google maps that seem to be derelict. I would like to know if anyone has any information on these places or knows what they are.

First find:
View attachment 774086
so this is in streetview and is located near the Barbury castle car park shown in the next picture
View attachment 774087
In this satellite image it seems demo'd but i still want some sort of confirmation if anyone has any :)

second find:
View attachment 774088
These blocks had much more graffiti on them when i passed it recently, proving that there is still visitors to this place. It is located on the A346 near chiseldon and next to Caslien south farm.
View attachment 774089
I am thinking that this could be some sort of derelict carpark or the remains of a building that has been demolished. Again, i would like any extra info or confirmation of what the hell this place is.

Hi,
after a quick look couldn't find much about the first, looks like just a bungalow, maybe part of Upper Herdswick Farm.

1533729423539.png

The second could be part of the old dismantled railway or something to do with the old Chiseldon Camp.... an old army camp that was on the farmland to
the left of what you are looking at, some info here:

http://www.swindonweb.com/index.asp?m=8&s=116&ss=763

1533730031236.png

You need to become a bit of a detective and do some investigating... that's half the fun of urbex! ;)
Google is your friend!
Hope that helps
Enjoy

Jamierr

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi,
after a quick look couldn't find much about the first, looks like just a bungalow, maybe part of Upper Herdswick Farm.

View attachment 774108

The second could be part of the old dismantled railway or something to do with the old Chiseldon Camp.... an old army camp that was on the farmland to
the left of what you are looking at, some info here:

http://www.swindonweb.com/index.asp?m=8&s=116&ss=763

View attachment 774109

You need to become a bit of a detective and do some investigating... that's half the fun of urbex! ;)
Google is your friend!
Hope that helps
Enjoy
Tysm alot of help!

Jamierr

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
To be honest a derelict carpark isn't going to be very interesting or photogenic. Best thing g to do if you think you've found somewhere of interest is just head over there and take a look for yourself.:thumb
Yeah good point, wasn't exactly sure what it was, car park or something else. i had no clue

stranton

the travelling man
Regular User
i've found 100s of sites on google earth doesn't mean there all thread worthy,
the year of the google earth satellite image is usually at the bottom of the page.

Schmetterling

28DL Member
28DL Member

First find:
View attachment 774086
View attachment 774087

second find:
View attachment 774088
View attachment 774089

Looks like they are trying to keep travellers out of the disused car park

The Franconian

28DL Regular User
Regular User
don't let you stop; doing your own research is good and fail is part of the game.
and if there is an abandoned car park in the nothing, there should have been a reason why it was there = next search
+
you can use different maps, Bing for example or maps of former times

WATERMOUSE

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
the first I know of that's right next to horse racing jumps trainer Neil and Alan King yards and Hackpen farm is where Laura Thomas has her racehorse training set up next to .Upper Herdswick farm that belongs to Neil they have a huge amount of land for their racing operation and second as someone mentioned is a car park but possibly maybe the site of the station that ran parallel with the A346...have you seen this site http://friendsofthepath.org.uk/oldsite/projects/project4.htm

Last edited:

natters5

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I used to live round there. First place is just Bungalow. The second place is concrete blocks to stop the Travellers moving in, a big issue round that area. The road leads into what used to be Ogbourne St George Camp an old wooden hut infantry barracks used in both world wars. I did Northern Ireland training there in 1972, not the running round buildings shooting a shadows that they do now a days but real old style crowd control with shields, battons and a megaphone.

Jamierr

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I used to live round there. First place is just Bungalow. The second place is concrete blocks to stop the Travellers moving in, a big issue round that area. The road leads into what used to be Ogbourne St George Camp an old wooden hut infantry barracks used in both world wars. I did Northern Ireland training there in 1972, not the running round buildings shooting a shadows that they do now a days but real old style crowd control with shields, battons and a megaphone.
Sorry for the year and a half reply, but thank you that helps alot. To hear that you had some personal experience here is amazing! Thank you for sharing :)