real time web analytics
Video Report - - Freight Train Hopping in the West Coast of America (summer 2015) | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Video Report - Freight Train Hopping in the West Coast of America (summer 2015)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mouse-punk

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Something a little different here, but still relevant i think. This summer i went to visit Oregon/California.
Although i did some urbex, i wanted to post this video as i want to see what peoples opinions are, in the UK Freight train riding can be deemed as Urban Exploration and i have tried it although am unsure weather to post about this as it is a little riskier. (may post a video in the next few months when i have some better footage).

In the USA riding freight trains has been a viable means of transport for a century and although the scene is a lot smaller now, i still know there is a lot of passionate people and "hobos" around, and i traveled with a few Freight riders myself. the video though, is my first "real hop" and i do it alone, starting at night, and riding for a good 14 hours straight, with a few very short stops. I started from the Californian border and ended up in Roseburg of Oregon.

Riding the rail road is such a unique way to explore a place as, all the towns in this area where based around the rail road in the turn of the last centuary. This means there is places and buildings that have been untouched for nearly 100 years and plenty of incredible untouched landscapes to take in. This film was used in an art instillation exploring themes of isolation, and has now been edited to go online.

I'd love to talk about freight riding in the UK and Europe and if anyone has had any experience in such things, anyway, thanks for reading.

Unfortunately no photos can be uploaded now, and they are not on any public media, so just the film.

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Excellent post, excellent pants.

I'm very envious of this, I'd love to give freight hopping another go but personally the risks here are a bit too high for me to do regularly. Also, the journeys are not as long as in the states obviously, and the destinations like Walsall and Crewe are a little less exotic. A big jaunt up and through Scotland is something I've thought about on these shores if I was to have another go.

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Always wanted to try this, I hop around on the back of passenger trains at the moment ;) but we don't talk about that...

Mouse-punk

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Excellent post, excellent pants.

I'm very envious of this, I'd love to give freight hopping another go but personally the risks here are a bit too high for me to do regularly. Also, the journeys are not as long as in the states obviously, and the destinations like Walsall and Crewe are a little less exotic. A big jaunt up and through Scotland is something I've thought about on these shores if I was to have another go.

Safe man! thanks hahahaha, love those things a little too much :P yeah you're right buddy its certainly risky but i think i've devised some decent methods. hit me up if you're ever interested in a trip like that, because i always am! shame about the situation in europe right now or i'd try this in france too.

marissa.pdx

28DL Member
28DL Member
this video is so beautiful -- I've never tried freight train hopping before (tbh I didn't know this was even possible). I live in Oregon which is why this video caught my eye.. honestly really interested in trying this but I'd have no idea where to even start! I also literally just made an account on here to reply to this video, but I would be interested in talking about freight train hopping if u have time to message me (can u direct message people on here?) thank u!!

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details