Web
Analytics
Fuji X-T20 | Photography and Video Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Fuji X-T20

Session9

A life backwards
Regular User
Hi all. I have heard a lot of good things about this camera, also bearing in mind its reasonable price, what do others think?

My main reason for change is i have a Nikon 3200 with Sigma 17-70 zoom and would like (idealy) a wide angle lens 10-20 with a better quality camera and lighter to carry which comes with mirrorless.

Thank you in advance

tigger

mog
Regular User
I've a friend who has been using an X-T20 since they came out and he loves it. He'd never go back to a mirrored camera again. I've used it for a day and whilst the photos were fine (and I particularly liked the rear screen) it wasn't comfortable to use. Maybe I could get used to one but I'm not sure. Too small for me but maybe not for you if used to your Nikon. Your Nikon will likely feel more stable in your hand too I think.
You can't fault Fuji for their quality and I'd say if it's what you fancy, go somewhere you can handle one (for as long as possible - and all decent camera dealers will be happy for you to do that) and see whether you like it. If you do decide to buy one check out the fuji uk shop and see if they have any refurbed ones - a friend got an X-T2 and it came as though new but was 400 quid cheaper - usually a good price (better than MPB) and you'll get a full warranty not a cut down one from a stealer.
Not much help I know!

Session9

A life backwards
Regular User
No, that is helpful mate, thank you.
In the end of course its price, and i don't want to be breaking four figures with lens. I see the Fuji fit 10-24mm is rather expensive and a wide angled lens is a must. I see what you mean about the fuji uk shop, way to go!

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
I cant speak for the Fuji camera, but I absolutely love my Sony CMC. I still use my Canon for topside stuff but for undeground its basically faultless.

I got my A6000/Samyang 12mm grey import and cost me about £600.

E2A: Not tryring to pimp my camera more CMC cameras ara brill.

Last edited:

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
I've used a Fuji X-T1 for ages now and it's an incredible camera (see my Portsmouth Fuel bunker post for testament of how tough it is...).

I've used an X-T20 before (an old work friend had one) and it was very impressive. Smaller and snapper than the now aged X-T1. I'm a big fan of the fuji range and can totally reccomend it. The only thing worth noting is that the Fuji lenses are very very good. So good that they carry a bit of a premium for the XF range. They don't really have the same super value range that Canon do. That said the Samyang 12mm lens is about £300 and has served me very well. The 'Cheap' range of Fuji lens are known as XC lenses. They are made of plastic instead of the metal of the XF range, however they optical quality of the cheaper XC lenses punch well above their price.

Session9

A life backwards
Regular User
Thanks guys, all very useful. The main stumbling block was knowing a decent wide angled lens to go with the Fuji X-T20, so that's answered that one and well within budget.

@Grom..... i see what you mean!! :oops:

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
The one thing worth mentioning is the X-T10/20/30 Range are not weather-sealed where as the X-T1/2/3 are. If you are likely to go anyway damp then it might be worth getting the X-T2 as second hand prices won't be too different from the X-T20.

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I've had an X-T3 for a little over a year, and have been using the 10-24mm wide angle exclusively - they're absolute beasts. I bought the camera from Digital Rev (known for being very reasonably priced, and somehow manage to do super fast deliveries from Hong Kong), I got the lens second hand off eBay to save me a few hundred quid.

I would highly recommend the X-T# series over the X-T## series for going out exploring just because of the weather sealing, got to be helpful I'd have thought.

The build quality of the gear is top notch, lots of metal used to keep things solid.

tigger

mog
Regular User
Back to price for a moment - I'd think there would still be a significant difference between an X-T2 and an X-T20
DigitalRev are OK for new stuff but always check elsewhere. When the D750 came out they were £10 cheaper than most UK dealers and having dealt with them before I almost ordered....then I noticed that both John Lewis and Currys were offering an extra £150 cashback.

Is weather sealing so important? My friend with the X-T20 takes a lot of photos in culverts and in mines. I doubt he's ever deliberately soaked the camera but he will even do something that I don't which is change lenses underground and has never had any problems with the Fuji.

Thinking about the lenses a bit more for a moment - if wide-angle is what you specifically want then is APS-C the best format? 10mm on a crop sensor isn't particularly wide. Of course it's never that simple as a camera has to do all the other things you want not just the main thing....and still has to fit the budget.

To go back to another point - weight - the X-T2 would add weight back to the considerations...not much but it is going to be heavier than an X-T20

If I am not muddying the waters enough yet ;)
Viewfinder on the X-T2 is much clearer than the 20 ...but the touch screen on the T20 is better than the T2 - small things possibly but coming from a Nikon you'll notice the difference in the viewfinders. Screen on the back...depends how much you use them. I'm old-fashioned, I copmpose in my mind and use the camera to take the photo, it's rare for me to chimp.

Cameras can be a bit like torches...you can never have too many and there is never a single 'best' ;)

tigger

mog
Regular User
Perhaps should have also mentioned that with the X-T4 due to be announced officially in a couple of weeks the second hand prices of the X-T2 might get nudged down a touch?

Session9

A life backwards
Regular User
Thanks guys, useful stuff.

Certainly worth waiting to see if there's a price drop on the X-T2, i think my budget might be blown none the less, but hey.... sod it.
I'm not one for ever changing lenses when out and deep damp places aren't my normal fare, but even the slightest bit of rain makes me reach for my bag, so having that confidence that the camera will be ok, is no bad thing.

Some of my beef with the Nikon is the screen, which i will use to check the occasional snap. Needless to say, its not helpful when it shows a low res image.

Right... time to sell the garden fence.

tigger

mog
Regular User
Right... time to sell the garden fence.
Who's fence? I think mine is a couple of fields away now along with the wheelie bins!

Screens on those Fujis definitely better than your Nikon (the newest ones are OK but never been a strong point of the brand).
Screens on cameras are odd things though. Sometimes with a Canon and Nikon on tripods with same settings and lighting we'll look and it's like two totally different photos...of course the image on the screen is processed to something like a jpg and there is no standard way of doing that. It's a bit like taking Velvia and Provia and saying they are both E-6 films so should be the same but Velvia has far higher contrast and saturated colours than Provia. Take the two raw images away and we'll have a different interpreation of how a finished photo should look and then have another two different images than the first seen on the camera screen!

I know @extremeironing has had pretty much every Fuji going and I’ve always thought they were amazing bits of kit, his pics are some of the best I’ve seen
p6.jpg

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
If they weren’t any good he’d be investing in a Sony or a Nikon or a Canon etc it’s all down to personal preference at end of day, maybe read some reviews than ask here