real time web analytics
Report - - Fuller earth work - Redhill - December '11 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Fuller earth work - Redhill - December '11

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

LachlanF

Amateur urbanexer
28DL Full Member
Well let me just start off by saying what a great place, i saw some photo's of this place, but was blown away when i took a visit.

Went on a visit here with my dad, he lived very near by and was interested as his dad and friends used to work there (we did find lots of documents with all of his friends and what they did there) Was easy access and just great, we climbed the highest we could get with some great views.

History
In 1954 the works, by now employing 780 men, were bought by chemical company Laporte Industries. Production was stepped up to meet increasing demand and a large factory consisting of kilns, granulators, blungers, silos and transit systems on several floors was built. In the 1980s, the Copyhold site was sending loose earths and packaged cat litter around the world.
By 1995, however, due to falling profits it was announced that the company would close 10% of its 100 plants. Copyhold fell victim the following year and the Laporte Group ceased fuller's earth production altogether in 1997. After the production lines were switched off, the 119 acre pit was purchased for use as a landfill site by Biffa Waste Services and continues to take waste from across Surrey. The factory was for a while used as a waste transfer station but this was abandoned at some time in the last four years and the site is now derelict.

On with the photos :thumb

Urbex-Redhill001.jpg

Urbex-Redhill016.jpg

Urbex-Redhill013.jpg

Urbex-Redhill025.jpg

Urbex-Redhill074.jpg

Urbex-Redhill031.jpg

Urbex-Redhill032.jpg

Urbex-Redhill125.jpg

Urbex-Redhill112.jpg

Urbex-Redhill104.jpg

Urbex-Redhill116.jpg