Web
Analytics
Fundraising for Yorkshire Cave Rescue | General Chat | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Fundraising for Yorkshire Cave Rescue

Bigjobs

Official Smartarse
Regular User
So after hearing the news regarding the fatal rescue attempt in yorkshire, and the loss of a lot of their gear, we've decided to get a fundraising attempt going.
Whether or not you know it, if you're playing in a hole in the ground then you rely on people like this to come get you if things go to shit.
It's time to come together as a community and show some support to a group of volunteers that put themselves on the line to make sure we're OK.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/28dl?utm_term=kDaP3E8zb

admin

Administrator
Admin
This is a worthy cause regardless of recent events..

A couple of quid goes a long way, kit aint cheap, and at end of day these people are volunteers!

They don't just deal with caves, they have rescued people from drains and cranes etc in the past in proper shit conditions, putting lives at risk in the process

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
The kit they use is not cheap, and in this rescue much was sacrificed just to get the casualty out. End of the day it does not matter to them if you are a caver, mine explorer, walker who sees a dark hole and head in with a phone torch, or a bunch of kids enjoying being young and doing something daring. They will still come out and rescue you, they won't judge you or decide not to rescue you because you were being stupid.
Kit wise a meter of rope costs £1 a meter, a karabiner about £2.50 for a heavy steel one, a bolt anchor probably about £5.00 each but you need a good drill for each placement so add £1000 to that. Pulley's £50 each, ascenders £40 each, descenders are £120 each.
On a complex rescue like this meters of rope can get trashes and if it's short pitches to haul / lower someone much of the hardwear could be lost (never mind general wear and tear).
Potentially the team has lost thousands of pound of equipment, but every chance they will be called on to carry out a similar rescue tomorrow if it was required. Hats off to them as I'm sure if needed they'd use their own personal gear to rescue someone in need.

FleurDeneuve

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is a worthy cause. Like has been said. Not just caves. They will save arses up heights. They are also volunteers. That deserves a high five itself.

Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
This is why Im a member of my local cave rescue group. If you go underground a lot its well worth joining your local rescue group. As Jobs said in his OP the only people who will come and rescue you if things go sideways underground are other cavers. I'll chuck some dosh in when I get paid later this week, I might also have a couple of bits of hardware I could donate.

Great idea mate!

Bigjobs

Official Smartarse
Regular User
I've thought about joining, or helping in some way, but i'm far too flaky with arrangements.

I end up leaving all the clubs I join due to social anxiety and making a small faux pas that in my head is the biggest deal there is. lol

cunningcorgi

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Done.

A great cause for a great organisation in light of what they do regularily on a voluntary basis.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Fund raising to help replace the damaged / sacrificed equipment is going well, now at 70% of the target 28DL wanted to collect. I'd contributed direct before @Bigjobs set up this fund raising page otherwise we'd be at 80%.

All the cave volunteers are volunteers and rely on the public for donations to upkeep, replace and service their equipment, vehicles and base. They will turn out 24/7 in any weather to rescue anyone who have got in trouble in mines, culverts, caves, hillsides and anywhere the normal emergency services would struggle to get to, this would include a car crash in a remote location or severe weather. They also assist in the search for vulnerable people who have gone missing.

Here's a link to the incident, 1600 volunteer man-hours to try and assist a caver who had broken their femur in a difficult to get to location https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-48492615

Even a few £'s will help them replace their kit, and who knows it could be you next time requiring their assistance :thumb

Bigjobs

Official Smartarse
Regular User
OK, so we reached the £500 limit I'd set, I thought we'd make that but not in so little time :D

Well done to everyone who's donated!

However, there's still a few weeks left available, and I know there are still some people that would like to contribute, but only get paid later on in the month etc, so rather than collect right now, I've set the limit higher to give these people a chance to donate also.

Bigjobs

Official Smartarse
Regular User
OK, last share as I've just started the process for withdrawing funds.

This can take 6-10 days and is currently at £725.

You can still donate until the funds are transferred to my account, (minus fees, but i'll make it back up to the donated amount myself).

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/28dl

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jimtrek20 General Chat 1
Natalia1846 General Chat 18