real time web analytics
Report - - Funton brickworks; Lower Halstow ; May 17 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Funton brickworks; Lower Halstow ; May 17

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
A well explored location, but im trying to post at least one thread a week or more. So second thread of this week so far is Funton Brickworks.

The brickworks it self is very large. It has been know by many names over the years, but Funton seems to be the one everyone knows it by.
The works used the local Brickhearth clay. The small brick works produced the classic, yellow London stock bricks for which this area is well known. The location fell into decay around 2010/11, according to reports, but I did find an invoiced dated 2013 in the office.

Part of the works was torn down by fire in 2000s and the office rebuilt off the ground. The grounds itself have been linked to Roman & Saxon finds ie pottery and such.

The earliest account I could find was this "The earliest records of brick making in this vicinity date from 1830 and 1839. By 1861 fourteen brickfield labourers were recorded as living in the village at a time when brickhearth was being extensively dug from either side of Breach Lane (to the south west of Lower Halstow)."

By 1880 the brickworks was producing 12.5 million bricks per year.

The land also houses 2 bungalows that are occupied. There is not a lot of history that is interesting about a brickworks so heres some pics instead of more waffle

IMG_6026.jpg

IMG_6020.jpg

IMG_6018.jpg

IMG_6023.jpg

IMG_6027.jpg

IMG_6031.jpg

IMG_6032.jpg

IMG_6034.jpg

IMG_6035.jpg

IMG_6036.jpg

IMG_6037.jpg

IMG_6042.jpg