real time web analytics
Report - - G Yorke and Sons Broom St Works - Stoke-On-Trent - August 21 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - G Yorke and Sons Broom St Works - Stoke-On-Trent - August 21

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
We spent a day mooching around Stoke and while this place has been covered loads we've had it on our list for a while so decided to have a look while we were there.

History - There's very little to be found on this place. G Yorke and sons manufactured brushes and brooms. It looks like it was first registered as a company in 1931 by Frank Tarrant Yorke and Betty Gwendoline Yorke. They retired as directors in 1993 and 1994 respectively and the business was taken over by James Christopher Yorke. In 2005 it's name was changed to All Swept Up and it is still listed as an active company today.

Explore - Access to this place is pretty easy although in full view of the road and other businesses. When we first got in to what looked like the office area it looked pretty disappointing but as you move through towards the back of the premises it gets much better. There is a lot of cool machinery, loads of decay and brushes of every possible kind all over the place. Really enjoyed looking round this place, who would have thought that brush making and the associated machinery would be so interesting!

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
When I see excellent reports like this I know I need to break my Stoke exploring duck and get myself over there....

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
When I see excellent reports like this I know I need to break my Stoke exploring duck and get myself over there....
Thanks. There's a lot to see around stoke. We were hoping to have a look at the falcon pottery works as well but its secured at the moment.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks. There's a lot to see around stoke. We were hoping to have a look at the falcon pottery works as well but its secured at the moment.

really thats a surprise didnt think that place was ever secured.
Excellent post btw, this place is prob one of the better ones left

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
really thats a surprise didnt think that place was ever secured.
Excellent post btw, this place is prob one of the better ones left
Thanks. It was the falcon works in stoke itself we checked out, not the one in Hanley round the corner from the brush factory. The kilns where accessible but the building itself is freshly boarded all the way round. I think the one in hanley may still be accessible but we spent so long obsessing over brush making machinery we ran out of time and had to get back.

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I'm surprised it's still in such nice condition, I was there last year and thought "this won't last long"
Did you venture upstairs? There is a nice little room at the back with loads of metal stamps and labels with all the various brush models. The floor was questionable back then so it may not be do able anymore. One of the few places in Stoke I've actually enjoyed spending any time in.

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
I'm surprised it's still in such nice condition, I was there last year and thought "this won't last long"
Did you venture upstairs? There is a nice little room at the back with loads of metal stamps and labels with all the various brush models. The floor was questionable back then so it may not be do able anymore. One of the few places in Stoke I've actually enjoyed spending any time in.
I did go upstairs although the stairs were in a bad way but I quickly abandoned it as I really wasnt happy with the floors. It is a great place though, really interesting.

Lindylou

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Aww glad this place is still standing! We visited in February but was well locked up, didn't get in and a notice outside stated it was to be demolished end of Feb so we bit our lips and walked away, so glad it's still standing! Nice pics!

Who has read this thread (Total: 318) View details