real time web analytics
Report - - Galaxy Cinema, Long Eaton, Nottinghamshire, November 2017 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Galaxy Cinema, Long Eaton, Nottinghamshire, November 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

crusader

28DL New Member
28DL Full Member
Evening all. It's been a while since I've posted but I've decided it's long past time I began exploring again. I'd best sum this place up as a poor version of the (former) Odeon in Nottingham. In poor condition with a loft insulation everywhere for some reason, never seen so much in one building. Decent explore nonetheless.

History:

Seems there's plans to do something with it:
https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/derelict-long-eaton-cinema-site-493786

Opened on 29th August 1907 as St. James’s Theatre, with the comedy play “The Blue Moon” direct from the Lyric Theatre, London. It was designed by architect C. Ross.
It was taken over by Leon Vint on 5th September 1910 and was re-named Vint’s Picturedrome, its programming consisted of films and variety shows at 7 & 9 twice nightly. Re-named Coliseum Theatre from August 1916 it became a variety theatre, and this closed in March 1923. It re-opened as the New Scala Cinema on 6th August 1923 with Rudolph Valentino in “The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse”. By 1934 it was operated by the S. Graham Circuit of Nottingham.
It suffered serious damage from a fire on 2nd December 1934 and was substantially rebuilt to the plans of architect H. Hardwick Dawson of Nottingham, having been modernised into an Art Deco style. Seating was provided for 850 in stalls and circle. The proscenium was 30 feet wide, the stage 20 feet deep and there were four dressing rooms. Occasional variety shows were still held there. The Scala Cinema re-opened on 1st July 1935 with Warner Baxter in “Strictly Confidential”
The Scala Cinema closed in July 1964 with Cliff Richard in "Summer Holiday". It then became a bingo club for many years, initially Thurland Bingo Club. In 1991 a false ceiling was inserted across the auditorium, closing off the circle level. It was last operated by Silverline Bingo in 1993. The closed-down building suffered from another fire.
In 2004, the then empty, almost derelict building was purchased by a new owner who after many delays, set about converting the ground floor of the building into a triple screen cinema. A 70 seat screen re-opened as the Galaxy Cinema on 5th January 2007, and the two other screens seating 98 and 77 opened on 2nd March 2007, but closed around April 2012.
Source:
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/24984

P1000572.jpg

Nice view over the rooftops:
P1000580.jpg

Difficult to get good photos in the dark:
P1000571.jpg

P1000605.jpg

P1000582.jpg

A reel of film... Any guesses which one it's from?
P1000596.jpg

And finally the remains of the projector:
P1000568.jpg

Anyway thanks for looking- more reports to come at some point :thumb

Last edited:

Cindy johnson

28DL Member
28DL Member
Wow I’m stunned and quite saddened to see the place in such a state inside. Up until it closed suddenly a few years back l used to use the cinema a lot as Long Eaton was my home for 24 years until last year. It was always cold and smelt a bit fusty inside as the guy that took it on ran out of money and like everywhere else in the town, the place just wasn’t patronised sadly. Have all the cinema rooms inside been gutted then? From memory there were 3 that the owner completed. I noticed that the rooftop door was always open and had become a haven for pigeons!
The best thing they could do is pull it down as it’s beyond repair and it is an eyesore now

Gibsontyler228

28DL Member
28DL Member
Evening all. It's been a while since I've posted but I've decided it's long past time I began exploring again. I'd best sum this place up as a poor version of the (former) Odeon in Nottingham. In poor condition with a loft insulation everywhere for some reason, never seen so much in one building. Decent explore nonetheless.

History:

Seems there's plans to do something with it:
https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/derelict-long-eaton-cinema-site-493786

Opened on 29th August 1907 as St. James’s Theatre, with the comedy play “The Blue Moon” direct from the Lyric Theatre, London. It was designed by architect C. Ross.
It was taken over by Leon Vint on 5th September 1910 and was re-named Vint’s Picturedrome, its programming consisted of films and variety shows at 7 & 9 twice nightly. Re-named Coliseum Theatre from August 1916 it became a variety theatre, and this closed in March 1923. It re-opened as the New Scala Cinema on 6th August 1923 with Rudolph Valentino in “The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse”. By 1934 it was operated by the S. Graham Circuit of Nottingham.
It suffered serious damage from a fire on 2nd December 1934 and was substantially rebuilt to the plans of architect H. Hardwick Dawson of Nottingham, having been modernised into an Art Deco style. Seating was provided for 850 in stalls and circle. The proscenium was 30 feet wide, the stage 20 feet deep and there were four dressing rooms. Occasional variety shows were still held there. The Scala Cinema re-opened on 1st July 1935 with Warner Baxter in “Strictly Confidential”
The Scala Cinema closed in July 1964 with Cliff Richard in "Summer Holiday". It then became a bingo club for many years, initially Thurland Bingo Club. In 1991 a false ceiling was inserted across the auditorium, closing off the circle level. It was last operated by Silverline Bingo in 1993. The closed-down building suffered from another fire.
In 2004, the then empty, almost derelict building was purchased by a new owner who after many delays, set about converting the ground floor of the building into a triple screen cinema. A 70 seat screen re-opened as the Galaxy Cinema on 5th January 2007, and the two other screens seating 98 and 77 opened on 2nd March 2007, but closed around April 2012.
Source:
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/24984

P1000572.jpg

Nice view over the rooftops:
P1000580.jpg

Difficult to get good photos in the dark:
P1000571.jpg

P1000605.jpg

P1000582.jpg

A reel of film... Any guesses which one it's from?
P1000596.jpg

And finally the remains of the projector:
P1000568.jpg

Anyway thanks for looking- more reports to come at some point :thumb

Hi,
Is there any chance of doing a video tour of the foyer, box office and trying to get screen one and the projection room please. My dad was the projectionist for long eaton cinema. Spent alot of my child hood there and would be nice to see what everything is like.

Kind regards
Tyler

Cindy johnson

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi,
Is there any chance of doing a video tour of the foyer, box office and trying to get screen one and the projection room please. My dad was the projectionist for long eaton cinema. Spent alot of my child hood there and would be nice to see what everything is like.

Kind regards
Tyler
A view of the top floor would be great too

Taximan1987

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi the reason for all the loft insulation was it was on the new ceiling for the new screen as I put it up there the owner thought it would help keep the heat in a bit more

Taximan1987

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi originally it had 3 screens but then we got asked to make two into one big one and keep one as it was would love to get in it now to see it cause In 2017 it got set on fire again see what is left probably not a lot

Who has read this thread (Total: 319) View details