real time web analytics
Question - - Gas Monitor question | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Gas Monitor question

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

SparkUK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
9 hours is quite a while, I can't remember what it says in the specs but it can't be much more than that surely. SO the EL problem went away? O2 are the ones that fail most, they have a very limited life, one or two years depending which ones you get.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
yes the EL problem is sorted. Sits at zero now, and when I turn the gas on, not ignited, it alarms and rises the closer to the source it is.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I have purchased another will have a play with it this week, only used it once or twice in trunk sewers

Dark Prince

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This reminds me...must get my Gas Alert Micro sorted. Needs a new O2 sensor/recalibration and resetting as i have some managed to lock it....in Spanish!!.

OT, not sure if yours has the same battery pack as mine but i can either use the rechargable pack it came with or a holder which takes AA's.

DP

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm not sure what make you have, but when I worked for Crowcon (long story cut short - my folks started the company) back in the 80's we used to reckon on about 2 years life for an oxygen/hydrogen sulphide/carbon monoxide sensor, they are a sort of reverse fuel cell - (don't ask me how they worked I was never that technicaly minded) that degrades after a few years! and NO I don't have any contacts at the company in order to get spares/calibration done - wish I did as I reckon it'd save you guys a bundle!! I know how expensive this sort of kit is to keep running and within limits!!

canute

货车司机和国王
28DL Full Member
I've been thinking about getting one of these (a 4 gas detector) - I'd be grateful for any recommendations on make and supplier. The price range is pretty huge

Morrisey

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The O2 sensor on my Gas Alert Micro has finally packed up, at first i thought that it may have been down to the severe temps we have had in the last couple of weeks.
The unit would self test and settle at 20.9 before steadily dropping to the point were it alarmed, i decided to strip it down and leave it on the radiator overnight to see if damp had got in and caused a problem.
When i turned it on again - bingo, it worked, unfortunately it was only for a couple of hours before the O2 reading started to drop again :(. A new O2 sensor has been ordered, you really take these detectors for granted, it's only when they feck up that you realise how much you rely on them. Be interesting to see if yours (OT) suffers a similar fate?

Dark Prince

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As has been said before, the BW sensors only have a life of about 2 years or so. I was lucky mine lasted 3. The O2 sensor also senses one of the other gases, hence why on mine its the expensive one.

Canute, the big problem is having the things calibrated. Mine needs doing every year and wont work if out of calibration.

DP

canute

货车司机和国王
28DL Full Member
Canute, the big problem is having the things calibrated. Mine needs doing every year and wont work if out of calibration.

Cheers DP - that sounds like a better quality one than the one I was looking at which you had to replace after a couple of years. Any recommended suppliers?

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Canute, the big problem is having the things calibrated. Mine needs doing every year and wont work if out of calibration.DP

Fellas, they *SHOULD* be calibrated every 12 months and serviced every 24! - (its a bit like the sunglasses - TRUST me on this one!)

That way you don't end up on here going "its gone all alarmy on meh what should I do??"

LOOK, if you're going to go into places where you need this kind of backup DON'T you want to know it feckin works properly or not???

(sorry I'll get off the soapbox now!)

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
How much to get them calibrated mines the same model as OT's, pic is at the start of this thread, any advice appreciated

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've been thinking about getting one of these (a 4 gas detector) - I'd be grateful for any recommendations on make and supplier. The price range is pretty huge

Canute, as I have said all along the CROWCON one is the one to go for. :banghead
Now I know its not the cheapest, but then again I'm biased :D as you are indirectly supporting my family (dad still has a few shares).

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details