real time web analytics
Report - - Gatehead Mill - Delph, Saddleworth - Sept 2013 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gatehead Mill - Delph, Saddleworth - Sept 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Gatehead Mill - Delph, Saddleworth

1_zps66167ca7.jpg

History

As with many of the smaller mills in Saddleworth there isn’t that much history about the place. It was used by Saddleworth Yarn Dyers up until 2000, which more or less when the neighbouring Bailey Mill stopped production.

Since then the building has been managed by a company from Bradford, not sure if they actually used it for anything during this time. The 2 large steel chimeys which used to dominate the skyline have finally been removed in the last couple of months, the current future of the buildings are unknown.

My Visit

I didn't really intend to end up here today, but as I'd been in a few times previously and hadn't taken any photos I popped in when the heavens opened and was pleased to be out the rain for a bit.

A section of the mill complex is still in use by a local builders merchant, but this building is separate from this part of the complex.

I started off in the offices, to be honest there isn't that much left in them, but have been in worse.

3_zps6153e843.jpg

8_zpsbbe016af.jpg

The odd bit of interest can be found showing the buildings industrial history.

4_zpscca6e0a5.jpg

7_zps337e0806.jpg

6_zpsd6fcd2ee.jpg

A view through the window shows the part of the mill complex that's still being used by a local builders merchant.

5_zps3383528e.jpg

It was then a nice stroll around the open 2 story floors of the mill building.

9_zps066e2e04.jpg

The ground floor first.

11_zps7203150a.jpg

10_zps243f311d.jpg

Then up to the upper floor.

12_zps4f77144c.jpg

13_zps22d30f78.jpg

14_zpse9ceb7f9.jpg

Was good to see the set of scales are still here.

15_zps6313bf62.jpg

I did head around the back to look at the out buildings and boiler house, but they were still totally uninspiring so left it at that.

2_zpsff3e2873.jpg

As has been said before it's not a bad place to spend 30 or so minutes, especially if you are trying to stay dry! It hasn't deteriorated that much over the years and is close enough to another mill if you are in the area.

Well that's it for Gatehead Mill.

Cheers,

TLR.​

Last edited: