real time web analytics
Information - - Gear | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Gear

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

spoonface

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Evening all!

I'm looking at getting some gear for my D3200 but don't have a clue where to start.

so far i'm thinking a tripod and a remote. could anyone make any suggestions on the type of tripod, a lens and flash. (i'm aware different shots require different lenses) wide anglewould be a good start] any info is appreciated.

PatientTheory

Yung explorer
28DL Full Member
Go for a light manfrotto tripod, they do them cheap in store or amazon. Try to refrain from using flash if you can, as pictures usually look 2 dimensional. I'd practice light painting techniques with a powerful LED torch :)
Lensers are trusted around this community, quite good torches.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
If money is an issue grab a small 30w LED Floodlight from ebay. They're about £20.

If money isn't an issue get a serious Nitecore Torch. £400. But, well worth it!!

Get someone to take you underground and teach you to lightpaint (Hint, its dead easy)

elhomer12

Maglite size T-rex, It's time for urbex!
28DL Full Member
Good tripod, decent wide-angle lens and a good torch and you're set :thumb

You don't need a flash, we typically don't use them, just paint stuff with our torches on long exposure. A remote might be handy, they're only a couple of £ but I hardly ever use mine, if I'm worried about shaking the camera I'll just put it on timer so I can take my hands off it before the shutter opens

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
£400 o_O...... Thats some profit you"re gonna be making off me :eek:

Lol I've not bought the damn thing yet! No way Im gonna be selling that baby on!

Oh and nobody get any funny ideas about buying it off him first! I got dibs :D:coat

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
A remote might be handy, they're only a couple of £ but I hardly ever use mine

Remotes are quite useful specially if you want to get in front of the camera to paint stuff, I have a proper wifi remote which cost about £40. That said, I've used it about 8 times and while its a great piece of kit I couldn't really recommend getting one as I use mine so infrequently.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Evening all!

I'm looking at getting some gear for my D3200 but don't have a clue where to start.

so far i'm thinking a tripod and a remote. could anyone make any suggestions on the type of tripod, a lens and flash. (i'm aware different shots require different lenses) wide anglewould be a good start] any info is appreciated.

You don"t mention your budget in any of the above ???

Remotes off Ebay @£3 odd each get at least 2 for when you lose/trash one.

Have a look in Currys/PCWorld at the lightweight Manfucko Diddy Tripods for @£45-50 then go to harrison cameras in Sheffield and see what they have available to compare for a bit more £

The Diddy Manfuckos are ok until you need to upgrade your gear as they"re pretty poor in supporting proper cameras & lenses (if you can get a decent Tripod in the first place which will see you though gear changes and enhance your Photography experience it"ll actually save you money)

Cheap Wide ? the Sigma 10-20mm off Ebay for @£150 ish or if you want a proper Wide lens a Tokina 11-16mm but it"ll cost you more (and it"s a much heavier & better quality lens so a Manfucko Diddy Tripod will not like the extra weight and it"ll show believe me)

Torch standard os a LED Lenser P7 or P7.2 for starting out and general fucking about mooching and is fine depending on what you aspire to shoot in future. Check Maplins website out they normally have the P7.2 plus a P3 combi pack for @ £32-£40 which is cheaper than buying the P7.2 alone or get a possible copy off Ebay :)

Last edited:

elhomer12

28DL Full Member
Remotes are quite useful specially if you want to get in front of the camera to paint stuff, I have a proper wifi remote which cost about £40. That said, I've used it about 8 times and while its a great piece of kit I couldn't really recommend getting one as I use mine so infrequently.

I've got infrared and wired remotes for mine. Wired is handy for bulb mode, and I very rarely use the infrared one (actually don't know where it is atm). Most of the time, whatever I'm doing the timer will suffice. Nothing wrong with setting it going, then running back to your position and striking a pose :p

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Yup.

I gave up with the IR ones pretty quickly as their range sucks massive balls, to be honest I mainly do what you do and just set the 10 second timer and start painting or leg it into position.

The wifi ones really come into their own in tunnels, as you can walk down the tunnel for a 100m or so lighting it and then just hit the button to close the shutter, instant awesome pic.

spoonface

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers team.

I've recently stopped using the auto mode to take my photos and the wobble is horrific with out the tripod. I've been precariously balancing my camera on banisters and roof tops and hoping for the best.

First stop will be the tripod, then the lens and if I need it the remote. Gonna go for light weight as I do a heck of a lot of waking to get to these places.

thanks

elhomer12

28DL Full Member
A good solid tripod would be my first buy too, they help massively, even if you are still using the kit lens your camera came with. I really like my Manfrotto one, its a bit weighty but very stable, and I can even stand on it if needed

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The remote isn't for selfies it's for when you're shooting in "Bulb" mode to extend the normal maximum 30 secs limit on most cameras and/or prevent you from standing there with your finger on the shutter button inducing extra vibration/motion into your pics. Which if you're lightin anything up at the time will be excessive

Especially if you're using a cheap lightweight tripod ........don't get one :eek:

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The remote isn't for selfies it's for when you're shooting in "Bulb" mode to extend the normal maximum 30 secs limit on most cameras and/or prevent you from standing there with your finger on the shutter button inducing extra vibration/motion into your pics. Which if you're lightin anything up at the time will be excessive

Especially if you're using a cheap lightweight tripod ........don't get one :eek:

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The remote isn't for selfies it's for when you're shooting in "Bulb" mode to extend the normal maximum 30 secs limit on most cameras and/or prevent you from standing there with your finger on the shutter button inducing extra vibration/motion into your pics. Which if you're lighting anything up at the time will be excessive