real time web analytics
General Photo Thread | Photo Threads | Page 96 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General Photo Thread

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Roof joist shot

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
Norton Fitzwarren April 2010

G50 - Land to the north of the railway line and to the south of the Taunton to Wiveliscombe road was levelled in 1940 to create a military supply depot. As 3 Supply Reserve Depot it was under the control of British forces until 1942, when it became the United States Army’s General Depot G 50. The extensive site included warehousing, cold storage facilities and rail marshalling yards to receive supplies coming by train.
The G 50 depot returned to British military control in 1945 as 3 SRD RASC. By 1963 it was the only Supply Reserve Depot in the UK, providing ration packs to British troops. The depot closed in 1966, by which time it employed 213 largely civilian staff. It was used in part as a trading estate and many buildings survived until the early 21st century when the site was redeveloped. One of these buildings was used by Quantock Motor Services until the site became a housing estate. Here we see inside QMS before the buildings were flattened.

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
Like the Back of My Hand

In 2000 Strange Cargo devised a new artwork to celebrate the new millennium. 101 people were sought; 100 were born in a different year of the previous century and the 101st was the first baby born in Shepway district in the year 2000.
The handprint of each person was cast in bronze and biographies and photographs were taken, along with a recording of each participant speaking the year of their birth.
Initially exhibited in Georges House Gallery, the artwork went on to become a permanent installation in the previously dilapidated walkway up to Folkestone Central Railway Station in 2004. "Like the Back of My Hand" animates a much used public space, creates an iconic gateway to the town and has become a memorial for those who are no longer with us.

In 2005 "Like the Back of My Hand" won the prestigious Rouse Kent Public Art Award presented by Stephen Deuchar, the Director of Tate Britain.. My pictures were taken in 2009. Something different for the end of 2020 - stay safe

Landsil

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some perspective on otherwise generic walk path.

Well, let's say "generic" as top path is actually planned but never constructed Tube line. Park on one end and well locked tunnels on the other (bat territory)
DJI_0252.JPG

Who has read this thread (Total: 2413) View details