real time web analytics
General Photo Thread | Photo Threads | Page 105 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General Photo Thread

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Wish someone would do this lovely little Funerary chapel in Sheffield up...

51229185252_bbfe528039_b.jpg

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
Went on a little jaunt to the westcountry today, an area I've not been in for ages, and amongst a thoroughly successful day doing a varied quality of industrial things we stumbled across this on the way to another place, apparently called Trinidad Works near Wanstrow. Unfortunately the main offices had been recently sealed and the other brick building was done up incredibly tightly too, but the skeletal warehouse building was pretty cool.

Planning in for proposed concrete factory https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=QS644OKP02100

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
When looking for windmills I happened to stumble on an article on this. It's known as little Switzerland in Norfolk. It was a massive series off marl pits, which were quarried for use in agriculture for soil. Small canals were run through the land this enabled the wherries to transport the marl to the river. The soil was heaped up creating a mountain style landscape which led to its name. It was the large bridge I wanted to see, known as the high low bridge. Built high enough for the wherries, but with a low approach to the top of the bridge. The quarry operated during the 18th and 19th century and closed in 1877. The bridge is now left with trees taking over the former pits. I was determined to find this mythical bridge, so a little research I had a rough location quite quickly. I took the trek to it and found it eventually hidden in woodland. I have a love of old brick bridges and their construction, and this one is a beauty.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I have passed this ghost sign many times when in Scotland. And was glad to stop and photograph it. The factory opened in Linwood, Paisley in 1963 by Prince Philip churning out Hillman imps. The factory had loads of strikes, often planned by management to lay workers off without pay. In 1973 it was bought out by Chrysler who stopped production of the imp in 1976 and was sold to Peugeot/Talbot in 1978. The factory closed three years later. A massive part of the Thatcher era of killing industry in the UK. Linwood was devastated as a community with the closure and loss off 6000 jobs at the plant. All that's left is this sign on a bridge.

Who has read this thread (Total: 2413) View details