real time web analytics
General Photo Thread | Photo Threads | Page 112 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General Photo Thread

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tigger

mog
Regular User
Blue is beautiful (even typing that I can hear Fenella Fielding and feel weak at the knees)

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
Beamish in 2008

The Westoe Netty is a painting by Robert Olley. It depicts a historical scene inside a public toilet (Netty is a Geordie dialect word for toilet). Painted in 1972, it has become a cultural symbol of North East England working class history. Olley was a former miner turned local artist, and his painting was inspired by a real toilet that was formerly sited in Westoe, South Shields. His painting depicted six working class men and a little boy using the netty, which was used by workers travelling to the nearby Westoe Colliery. The painting portrays the wall of the netty covered in humorous and often vulgar graffiti, reflecting many local phrases and cultural references.
The original toilet was built in 1890. When the area it was sited in was earmarked for regeneration, the toilet was saved from demolition by friends of the artist, who dismantled it and put into storage in 1996 in a local shipyard. In 2008 the toilet was rebuilt as a permanent exhibit at the Beamish Museum, County Durham, and opened on 25 July 2008 with a recreation of the picture's scene staged for the media. Unfortunately by 2010 the authenticity of the rebuilt North Eastern icon became a victim of its own success as its visitors thought it was for public use so a decision to retire it into temporary storage until funds allowed the Westoe Netty to be relocated, reconstructed and plumbed in as a working urinal.

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Ellen House, Holmewood, Derbyshire – September 2021

Ellen house in Holmewood at the edge of Chesterfield was originally an Edwardian manor house known as ‘The Moorlands’ and was initially inhabited by the Ward family who owned a nearby colliery.

After being a private residence for the first part of its life, it became a public house called ‘The Jolly Farmer’ for many years until closure in 2008. Finally, it became the head offices for a company known as ‘EMH Care & Support’ who are a social housing and care provider. The company occupied Ellen House until moving to newer premises nearby in late 2019.

The current plans for the site are demolition and replacement with 11 one-bedroom flats, five two-bedroom properties and four three-bedroom houses.

Not really interesting enough for a report but had a nosey while in the area.

Many ripped up floorboards

And many smashed sinks

Comedy moment when we popped into the entrance bit and realised we couldn't open the door again to get out as someone had yoinked the door handle...

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
A row of three small abandoned cottages on the southern edge of Reading, somehow surviving all the redevelopment going on in the area.

All three were pretty much identical in terms of layout inside, the internal differences between the three being quite stark though - one with some seriously dodgy floors, one filled with peely wallpaper and tagging, and one which featured some interesting choices of wallpaper in the upstairs bedrooms.

Ab1g4el

Mmm, the fresh smell of black mould
28DL Full Member
After 11+ years of searching I finally found the sketchiest single building I've ever entered - I don't count Causeway Lodge as I never actually set foot inside that!

I had spotted this house near High Wycombe the other day whilst perusing maps as I do when I'm bored and was passing it today so decided to pop by and have a look. I'd noted that the roof of the property appeared a little 'skewed' on the most recent aerial view but I thought it may just be a distorted image or something...nope. The entire central portion of the roof has, at some point, come crashing through the house taking a lot of the first floor with it, ripping out part of a gable end in the process. In the entrance hallway the ceiling/first floor is being held up by a fridge and the front door. The staircase and the kitchen were both buried under a mess of roof tiles, rotten beams, and the remains of the collapsed rotten first floor hung precariously over a doorway, supported by a wardrobe.

It's a real shame because at one point it would have made for a great time capsule farmhouse, there was a lot of stuff left in a couple of the rooms that were more unaffected by the total structural failure.

50390831801_3ae93342a6_b.jpg

50390139733_c9b55f9c8c_b.jpg

50390139958_740b03829f_b.jpg

The most impressive thing on the outside is this brick attached to the old phone line, which, when the gable end collapsed was catapulted out of the wall and is now dangling on the ground.

50390139903_52d17e83cf_b.jpg

50391005942_b64b691ed2_b.jpg

50390832706_f3eeb6e334_b.jpg

50391006207_6e471ed47f_b.jpg

50391006172_a76bd56c8e_b.jpg

50390831836_2c118a838b_b.jpg

The last shot was taken through a small window, into a room that is completely inaccessible from the inside.
That's deans farm! God you should see it now, it's essentially just the ground floor now

Ab1g4el

Mmm, the fresh smell of black mould
28DL Full Member
I still can't believe I practically crawled through one of the collapsed parts to get into some of the rooms!
I can't believe you came out full stop! I live well close too it and I'm even cautious standing next too it, let alone going inside! props too you mate! I've never seen the inside apart from 1 or 2 rooms so ur post is really eye opening

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A row of three small abandoned cottages on the southern edge of Reading, somehow surviving all the redevelopment going on in the area.

All three were pretty much identical in terms of layout inside, the internal differences between the three being quite stark though - one with some seriously dodgy floors, one filled with peely wallpaper and tagging, and one which featured some interesting choices of wallpaper in the upstairs bedrooms.

Christ that wallpaper!!!

Who has read this thread (Total: 2413) View details