real time web analytics
Report - - George Cocks/Longfield Dyeworks - Linthwaite - Jan 2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - George Cocks/Longfield Dyeworks - Linthwaite - Jan 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
GEORGE COCKS/LONGFIELD DYEWORKS – LINTHWAITE

2-5.jpg

HISTORY

I’m struggling to get any history on these building, The dyeworks closed in 2001 and has been known as George Cocks Ltd or the Longfield Dyeworks. Currently the site has planning permission to be demolition for conversion into housing. Site surveys has found that the site is contaminated by the chemicals used in the dying process; so it's future is still unknown.

Possibly the first building was built in 1877, there is a stone plaque on this building, the rest of the site looks as if it has been added in stages as the site expanded; about 5 separate developments in total, the only history I have found point to these developments “between 1918 and 1938, when a single building, of unspecified use, was constructed. Two additional buildings were constructed adjacent to the northwest and northeast of the original building between 1956 and 1968. The site was formerly used as offices and warehousing associated with a dyeworks.â€

THE VISIT

I had a spare hour or so and was passing by, so thought I’d pay this site a visit :) I can remember it when it was still a dyeworks. The whole building has been trashed by pikeys, the local youth and has seen a fair bit of graffiti, but don’t be put off by this as it is an interesting place, nice and open, over a few levels, with a bit of machinery still left in place and the graffiti adds to the charm.

I’ll start at the top and work my way down through the buildings, first 2 images are of the upper floor.

3-6.jpg

4-5.jpg

Stairs to the middle level

5-4.jpg

The middle floor

6-3.jpg

7-4.jpg

8-4.jpg

9-3.jpg

10-3.jpg

Looking down on the ground floor

11-3.jpg

One of the trashed offices

12-2.jpg

The ground floor

13-2.jpg

The artists air brushes and his art

14-2.jpg

The mill race and rear of the building

1-5.jpg

Well that’s it, I enjoyed my visit and would be a good place to cut your teeth on if it’s not too far away.​

Last edited: