real time web analytics
Report - - "Ghost towns" of the Spanish Pyrenees. 04/08/08 - 21/09/08. Part 2. | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - "Ghost towns" of the Spanish Pyrenees. 04/08/08 - 21/09/08. Part 2.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

G

Gemini

Boldis Sobira and, lower, Boldis Jussa were other deserted villages but again with a few people clinging on, refusing to give up a way of life which had not changed in 100 years. As with many of the Pyrenean people. Day 29.

596CR2.jpg

This place was in the city of Puigcerda. Day 36. A large city but still full of ancient buildings.

056CR2.jpg

This is the sanctuary of Nuria. (The Virgin Mary). Day 37. The building looks like a prison but is now a hotel and museum dedicated to a wooden statue of the Virgin Mary, found in a cave on the site.

068CR2.jpg

These buildings and church are the scattered remnants of the town of Talaixa. Day 40. I walked from here for 2 more days, finding only buildings, overgrown by the forest which had consumed the entire region since the land had last been farmed.

101CR2.jpg

098CR2.jpg

102CR2.jpg

108CR2.jpg

The Monastery of Sant Aniol D’Aguja. Day 40. An incredible 9th century monastery, lost to the forest and visited only by trekkers and Canyoners.

113CR2.jpg

114CR2.jpg

Macanet de Cabrenys. Day 42. A small town with a mile long street running down the middle of it.

128CR2.jpg

129CR2.jpg

Sant Baldiri, Day 44, Was a small walled village famed for it’s church. The people are all gone now and the complex has been propped up with red brick in places, but people still journey to the church to worship.

151CR2.jpg

150CR2.jpg

Mas Alfares was just one of several deserted farms I passed in the remote national park of Cap de Creus on the 44th and last day of my trek.

153CR2.jpg

These were taken in Figueras while waiting for the night train to take me to Paris, to begin the long journey home. The hotel was derelict but I found no easy way inside.

182CR2.jpg

185CR2.jpg

186CR2.jpg

This was taken in El Port De La Selva, home of Salvador Daly, a quiet coastal town where I spent 3 days recovering.

174CR2.jpg

Enjoy and let me know what you think.