real time web analytics
Report - - Gildersome Tunnel - April 2021. | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gildersome Tunnel - April 2021.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Tunnel Gricer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Gildersome Tunnel - April 2021

Constructed for the The Heaton Lodge & Wortley Railway Co. part of the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) in the late 1890’s early 1900’s the 1 in 70 Gildersome Tunnel at 1mile 571yds (2331yds) in length formed part of what became known during construction as the “New Leeds Line” which ran between Leeds and Huddersfield joining up with Leeds bound trains at Farnley Junction and connecting with traffic heading for Huddersfield at Heaton Lodge East Junction. Passenger Services ceased in the late 1950s with freight continuing until 1960 the tunnel closed in the early 1960’s. Since closure the northern end was infilled with approximately 30,000 cubic yards of local colliery waste as part of the M621 & M62 construction project only the southern portal remains long forgotten in woodlands and is normally well secured, DfT still access this tunnel for inspections how frequently I don’t know but they access via the soul remaining open air shaft using a crane and access cage... Why they don’t use the gate I really don’t know. Very little history on the tunnel itself have spent many hours trawling the internet.

Having been tipped off the gate was open again I made sure to get myself over there in quick time, having been once or twice to reccie the location I was familiar with the short walk down from the road through the woodland, initial relief getting to the portal seeing it was still accessible! Quickly got geared up squeezing through the gap in the gate, It became clear instantly that this was going to be hard going... water a few feet deep soon replaced by thick orange gloop.. was easy enough to navigate as was more slurry than actually mud, occasionally you’d feel like it was thinning out but then you’d be 3 or 4ft deep sometimes deeper! As mentioned before where the first two air shafts have been capped the debris discarded below they have created a dam meaning extremely deep slurry to wade through, I’ve never seen such a strong current of water flowing in any tunnel I’ve visited before I tired to capture it best I could, Air quality was dubious after passing Shaft 2 (Open) but not impassable made it to the now sealed up end plenty of tags and litter visible how many people make it up here I’ve no idea obviously a few although would seem odd if you’ve no real cause unless you’ve a passion for getting dirty.... Easy to loose all sense of time in Gildersome a real experience for sure, one I’ve had on my list for a long time. Hope you all enjoy the images I’ve selected 30 of my favorites to meet the group’s requirements out of the 100 odd I took lol.

Anyway hope you enjoy the images below :D

Thanks Guys..

Tunnel Gricer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
some brill pics again very good report as well :thumb
Thanks mate, Very little information on this spent a couple hours trawling the web and didn’t find much so cobbled together what I could, Need better torches the lack of use seems to have taken its toll on these as they didn’t seem as bright as they once were!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Beautifully lite as per. Stunning tunnel. The colours really come alive here. That sludge looks horrendous. Id love to do somewhere like this, but as name suggests Im as clumsy as, Id probably drop a len, or lenser or even my camera!! Yikes. Well done, great report :cool:

Tunnel Gricer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Beautifully lite as per. Stunning tunnel. The colours really come alive here. That sludge looks horrendous. Id love to do somewhere like this, but as name suggests Im as clumsy as, Id probably drop a len, or lenser or even my camera!! Yikes. Well done, great report :cool:
Wow! Thanks :D Yes loads of colours in most parts the strong contrast of the orange sludge throughout, Definitely one of the top 5 tunnels I’ve visited for sure so much so I went back 2 days after my initial visit to capture a couple more images.... I was cautious not to drop anything in the sludge too... well apart from myself Haha! Be more than willing to accompany you or anyone on a tunnel explore I know there not everyone’s flavour but I enjoy them:cool: