real time web analytics
Report - - Gilford Mill, Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland (April 2016) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gilford Mill, Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland (April 2016)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ulsterman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Completion of the Spinning Mills at Gilford took place in November 1841, and an extract from the Northern Whig of November 22, 1924, recalls the occasion, "19th November, 1841 was a great day in Gilford when one of the most splendid soirees ever held in this part of the country took place at the Works of Messrs. Dunbar, McMaster & Co. in the reading room and library belonging to the establishment. The proprietors, it seems, have just finished a large building for the manufacture of thread and this was appropriately fitted out and beautifully ornamented for the occasion.

Quite a big mill, though not nearly as large as Barbour at Hilden, still impressive. Unfortunately the steps above the first floor have been breeze-blocked off. Looks like they started renovating the place from the top down, top floors have UPVC windows and nice glass balconies, think the money ran out in 2008!

149_zpsqcqailc7.jpg

150_zps3rcu3qrd.jpg

152_zpswta4sgsn.jpg

154_zpsiznt3jdi.jpg

157_zpscav7erki.jpg

158_zpshszz2nc9.jpg

160_zpsjlxmt7pu.jpg

163_zpscg4ruxin.jpg

177_zps49mlfx0e.jpg

178_zpssi8fyamh.jpg

184_zpsrnbbsmgc.jpg

185_zpsboob974p.jpg

189_zpsdd6nsc1w.jpg

190_zpse83xm3d0.jpg

192_zpslb3zzcc4.jpg

193_zpsv1k3p18u.jpg

195_zpsc0awihjz.jpg

201_zpsxcptvmi1.jpg

208_zpsmnkaerax.jpg

Thanks for looking!

hamtagger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I like a nice old mill building. Looking pretty tired now this place unfortunately but cheers for the update mate :thumb

Liking the fire point shot

BayCleaner

28DL Member
28DL Member
Superb! I was there myself in the past few days. I went around the entire site and could only get into one single room that wasn't very interesting. I couldn't find any other access and all the drain pipes etc. have been cut away. The only obvious way in was to climb up like with a ladder or something! How did you manage?

Note the widespread presence of giant hogweed, which can cause fatality. Do not ignore that!

Ulsterman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Superb! I was there myself in the past few days. I went around the entire site and could only get into one single room that wasn't very interesting. I couldn't find any other access and all the drain pipes etc. have been cut away. The only obvious way in was to climb up like with a ladder or something! How did you manage?

Note the widespread presence of giant hogweed, which can cause fatality. Do not ignore that!

We couldnt get any higher than the first floor in the main building, most of the photos come from the smaller building to the side which I think was more management offices etc *NO ACCESS DETAILS PLEASE!* Most of the floors are absolutely rotten in there though!

I was looking at the hogweed at the time too, thats some of the biggest 'Ive ever seen, I've seen what it does to skin too, horrible plant haha!

Last edited by a moderator:

IAN MALCOLM

28DL Member
28DL Member
It is now very well closed off!

And there are security cameras (x3 or 4) located inside the main yard .they look to be motion activated infared cameras no idea how there powered but they are there non-theless. Recommend Against spring or summer visit as giang Hog Weeds are lethal to the skin and grow every where. Any holes in the fences where patched up with barbed wire. Pritty amazing place was only able to see a little bit of it.