real time web analytics
Report - - Gladys Holman House - Camborne (Cornwall) | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gladys Holman House - Camborne (Cornwall)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Pastymuncher

28DL Member
28DL Member
Gladys Holman House – Camborne (Cornwall)

I have had my eye on this place for about a month now ever since reading about it on thisiscornwall.co.uk

I am new to the site and I am keen to learn and appreciate any feedback, good or bad!

First of all I must give a credit to HaroldBishop’sLoveChild, who has already posted a very good report on this beautiful house.
I have uncovered a little history and info on the house:

The following is from: www.thisiscornwall.co.uk

Building earmarked for flats stands empty and neglected four years since purchase. THE 'FINEST house' in Camborne is standing neglected and boarded up, four years after being purchased for conversion into luxury flats.
Concern has been raised about the condition of Gladys Holman House, a Grade II listed building which dates from 1815. Four years ago it was sold by the charity Scope to Truro-based developers.
Nothing has happened since then and the developer is now trying to sell the property for £250,000. The asking price is so low because of the amount of money that needs to be spent restoring the property.
The developer’s publicity said the Georgian manor house would be "expertly renovated into ten luxury apartments". But a company spokesman admitted this week: "The collapse of the housing market means we can't afford to do it. "We are looking to sell it on and there has been a lot of interest in the property."
The house, originally called Rosewarne, was built by wealthy mine owner William Harris. It was later acquired by the Holman family, and when it became a care home was named after the wife of one of the directors.
It was also used for some years by the Holman's engineering company as offices and the front porch was a popular spot for many local organisations wanting group photos.
The house was sold by Scope because it was no longer appropriate for the needs of its residents. Scope now runs Rosewarne, a new development caring for sufferers of cerebral palsy.

The Estate Agents Sales Pitch:

Imposing house for development into 10 apartments.

Substantial residential development opportunity of 15,000 SQ FT (1,396 SQ M). Gladys Holman House is an imposing Grade II Listed house. Set in a parkland estate in a central position only a short distance from Camborne town centre.

Offers in the region of £250,000 FH

Just in case anyone has a spare £250,000 and is tempted buy this lovely house:

It is worth considering some of the key features which would need to be retained and restored as part of its Grade II listing. The list is very extensive and way beyond home DIY skills!

Courtesy of:
Rosewarne House, Camborne, Cornwall

Now known as Gladys Holman House. Large house, now residential home
for handicapped people. Circa 1815, for the Harris family (copper mining
and smelting); restored 1911 by H.M.Holman.
Granite ashlar, slate roof. H-plan formed by main range with short projecting and long receding wings. Greek Revival style. Two storeys and 1:3:1 bays, symmetrical, the outer
bays projected as short pedimented wings; plinth with central 3-bay span of 6 steps, 1st floor band, moulded cornice and coped blocking course, banded clasping pilasters to the corners. The recessed 3-bay centre is spanned by a porch in the form of a Doric colonnade tetrastyle in antis with fluted columns, triglyph frieze and mutule cornice, its roof forming a
balcony protected by an elegant wrought-iron balustrade of intersecting circles with Greek-key standards; under this porch is a segmental-headed doorway with panelled double doors and traceried overlight, flanked by tall 15-pane sashed windows; above it are 3 windows, the 1st furnished with a glazed door and the others with 12-pane sashes; all these openings with plain reveals. The wings have tall 15-pane sashed windows at ground floor in shallow round-headed recesses, 12-pane sashes above, and the corners of their pediments are decorated with angled anthemions. Ridge chimneys on the wings. The left return wall has inter alia a 2-storey bow with tall 18- pane sashed windows. The right-hand return wall of 1:5:1 bays, the centre breaking forwards slightly, with raised quoins and no band, has windows with raised keystones, those at ground floor of the centre being French windows and the 4th and 5th of these altered, and the others sashed, with glazing bars; plain frieze, moulded cornice, and parapet with anthemion upstands. To the rear of this wing is a large quadrantal single-storey conservatory of 9 bays with flat-faced piers, full-height 21-pane sashed windows, plain frieze, moulded cornice and low parapet with anthemion upstands; and at the apex of its shallow conical roof, a wide lantern. Interior: cubic entrance hall with front and rear screens of polished red granite Corinthian columns distyle in antis, with moulded plaster capitals and elaborate entablature and cornice carried round; marble floor with geometrical patterns, granite fireplace with fluted Doric semicolumns; beyond this hall, a fine geometrical staircase with delicate scrolled wrought-iron balusters; panelled doors with Greek key decoration; between the principal rooms in the south wing, a small music room with fan-shaped acoustic ceiling.

gladysholmanhousecamborne81.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne79.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne145.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne144.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne29.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne130.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne35.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne129.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne138.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne142.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne139.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne140.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne121.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne107.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne114.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne103.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne88.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne63.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne57.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne16.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne14.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne8.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne72.jpg

gladysholmanhousecamborne74.jpg

Thanks for reading. I hope you have enjoyed the report and I apologise if it is a little long winded but wanted to provide a bit of background to the place.

Last edited by a moderator: