real time web analytics
Report - - Glamis Private Hospital, Dunedin - January 2016 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Glamis Private Hospital, Dunedin - January 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
History

Glamis Private Hospital opened in 1988, to cater for the rising elderly population in Dunedin. It closed during the autumn of 2011, after $18 million was invested in the Yvette Williams Retirement Village (named after the former Olympic gold medallist) located in nearby Highgate. Investment in a new premises was said to be due to the increasing demand for bed space. All of the former staff and residents at Glamis were moved across to the new site, which was described as a ‘boutique retirement village with improved facilities’. All residents would, for instance, have access to an en-suite bathroom at the facility. While Ryman, the current owners of Glamis, intended to sell the site once it was vacant, it still remains empty in 2016.

Our Version of Events

Back in the barely habited scrubland of the South Island of New Zealand – better known as Dunedin – I decided to follow up a tip off that an abandoned hospital had popped up. Deciding to walk was a bad idea, since it turned out to be miles out of my way, but I still arrived with some daylight to spare. After standing around looking suspicious for a while, waiting for a suitable gap in the pedestrian traffic, I managed to get inside fairly easily. It’s a funny thing that, normally Dunedin is like a ghost town, but when I decide to explore hundreds of people suddenly appear!

Inside there seemed to be plenty of leftover stuff, so I set about grabbing as many snaps as possible before it got too dark. To my disappointment, there were no beds in any of the former bedrooms, although there were other medical-related objects – namely chairs, walking sticks and pills – spread around the building. Overall, the place felt as though it had been abandoned only a few months ago, not four years or so. There were still plenty of food supplies leftover for instance; baked beans and what not – so that was my dinner sorted anyway. I had to pass on the bread unfortunately…

1: Glamis Private Hospital

aDSC_0100_zpsohoorwi7.jpg

2: Front Entrance

aDSC_0106_zpsncejd0nz.jpg

3: Main Reception Desk

aDSC_0003_zpsqr0g5vyn.jpg

4: Main Entrance

aDSC_0004_zpsv74glw3i.jpg

5: Behind the Main Desk

aDSC_0012_zpsf4nk89vq.jpg

6: The Main Hall

aDSC_1000_zpsyj8y8ktp.jpg

7: Kitchen (Room One)

aDSC_0021_zpsqwsnnxoj.jpg

8: Kitchen (Room Two)

aDSC_0020_zpsawqjtzdr.jpg

9: Stereotypical Elderly Person Tea-set

aDSC_0025_zpspsaovlgf.jpg

10: Shared Ward Area

aDSC_0027_zpsqbjpjxun.jpg

11: Private Room

aDSC_0032_zpsybvubrj4.jpg

12: Toilet Seat

aDSC_0076_zpsy1rojws8.jpg

13: Main Corridor

aDSC_0928_zps4ufkrgkr.jpg

14: One of the Communal Rooms

aDSC_0938_zpsesjnsarx.jpg

15: More Rooms

aDSC_0950_zpsxiytpll0.jpg

16: Former Office

aDSC_0955_zpsojrorcos.jpg

17: Staircase Shot

aDSC_0953_zpsxm6qkqux.jpg

18: Leftover Personal Belongings

aDSC_0968_zpss0ymzskr.jpg

19: Staff Room

aDSC_0970_zpspwgtmoxj.jpg

20: Staff Kitchen

aDSC_0974_zpsoixd7jqb.jpg

21: Physiotherapy Department

aDSC_0997_zpszrjvkwrj.jpg

22: Another Staff Office

aDSC_0925_zps5elgq1lx.jpg

23: Hair Dressing Room

aDSC_0016_zpsq6ij4u6f.jpg

24: Bathroom

aDSC_0008_zpshe4fajwg.jpg

25: More Belongings

aDSC_0966_zpslvhpctgb.jpg

26: Second Communal Area

aDSC_0985_zps0bfe28rj.jpg

27: Wheelie Toilet Chair

aDSC_0989_zpsvufrqqzv.jpg

28: Communal Area

aDSC_0034_zpstumxtpzu.jpg

29: Walking Sticks

aDSC_0039_zpsnwncajjp.jpg

30: The Piano Shot

aDSC_0042_zps80lrhhoc.jpg

JemCymru

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
great pics n that... but i can smell the stench of piss from here eaaaaawwwwww :eek:

Jim Sullivan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Amazing. Great pictures. hard to believe it's been abandoned for so long. It's so clean. I wonder why they took the beds out, but left so much else.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Amazing. Great pictures. hard to believe it's been abandoned for so long. It's so clean. I wonder why they took the beds out, but left so much else.

Thanks Jim :thumb Based on all my other experiences, beds are usually one of the first things to be removed. They likely used them in the new site I guess.

Demelza

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi, I came across this place recently while researching haunted places in Dunedin. I have done a quick explore and plan on going back asap ( super easy to get in) sadly it has been vandalized with lots of tagging, smashed windows and doors , blood everywhere and even pentagrams drawn all over. There is a large leak in the kitchen which has destroyed the ceiling and rotting the floors etc. So sad to see it's been left to fall apart when there's many things it could of been used for. I'll take a heap of photos next visit and share them here.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Hi, I came across this place recently while researching haunted places in Dunedin. I have done a quick explore and plan on going back asap ( super easy to get in) sadly it has been vandalized with lots of tagging, smashed windows and doors , blood everywhere and even pentagrams drawn all over. There is a large leak in the kitchen which has destroyed the ceiling and rotting the floors etc. So sad to see it's been left to fall apart when there's many things it could of been used for. I'll take a heap of photos next visit and share them here.

Hello. Good to hear more people are out exploring in Dunedin. I struggled to find many other people while I was there. Sorry to hear the place has been trashed. It's inevitable, unfortunately. I agree, the place could have been put to better use. Looking forward to seeing your photos of the place!