real time web analytics
Report - - Glascoed Quarry - Monmouthshire - Jun 2010 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Glascoed Quarry - Monmouthshire - Jun 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Magnetmonkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Glascoed Quarry. 03/6/10

Visited with : Vwdirtboy
History : There is very little in the way of information on the net about these mines. So this is part of what
I have been informed by locals.
The quary was first started by the local monks (thats another story) as an open cast in the escarpment of Silurian
Lime stone this was then dug in to the cliff face and extended horizontally leaving pillars to support the ceiling.

DSC00562.jpg

The lime stone around these enterances are very unstable.

DSC00560.jpg

DSC00545-1.jpg

DSC00549.jpg

This is a old well which has been filled with stones now but has a nice fresh water level on the top 2 foot.

DSC00552.jpg

DSC00553.jpg

DSC00554.jpg

Some startings of flowstone.

DSC00555.jpg

Jessicat783

28DL Member
28DL Member
Glascoed Quarry. 03/6/10

Visited with : Vwdirtboy
History : There is very little in the way of information on the net about these mines. So this is part of what
I have been informed by locals.
The quary was first started by the local monks (thats another story) as an open cast in the escarpment of Silurian
Lime stone this was then dug in to the cliff face and extended horizontally leaving pillars to support the ceiling.

DSC00562.jpg

The lime stone around these enterances are very unstable.

DSC00560.jpg

DSC00545-1.jpg

DSC00549.jpg

This is a old well which has been filled with stones now but has a nice fresh water level on the top 2 foot.

DSC00552.jpg

DSC00553.jpg

DSC00554.jpg

Some startings of flowstone.

DSC00555.jpg
I have been looking into glascoed quarry for a few days now but find it impossible to find a map for the location?? Could you help? I heard it is good there to look for fossils and wouldn’t mind being able to have a look for myself :) p.s photos are brill!!

Voltan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have been looking into glascoed quarry for a few days now but find it impossible to find a map for the location?? Could you help? I heard it is good there to look for fossils and wouldn’t mind being able to have a look for myself :) p.s photos are brill!!

I found this the other week, a nice little explore , I was unable to find the other 2 at Usk and Llandegveth Reservoir, To find the Glascoed ones, if you get near to the church at Glascoed, there is a gate that appears to go into a field on the lhs just before you get to the church, there's a house being renovated close to the gate, walk through the gate , about 50yrds down