real time web analytics
Report - - GLAZEBROOK COUNTRY CLUB -warrington-sep 16 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - GLAZEBROOK COUNTRY CLUB -warrington-sep 16

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

scotty markfour

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Glazebrook country club was part of a transit camp near warrington for american and canadian troops in WW2 , the club is the only remaining standing part of a once 7 acre military base which was one of many outlying bases for the more famous burtonwood airbase .from aprox 1942 till its demise in 1991 many top acts and bands appeared at this venue ,i have read a report that MARILYN MONROE once appeared here in the 1950s but i could not confirm this ! marilyn monroe as far as i could tell only visited the uk once and that was only for four months in 1956 which she spent totally in the southeast of england !....and that was down in surrey ! many merseybeat bands and manchester based acts performed at the club in the 1960s .
when the club was de-militarised in the 60s it became a country club , it boasted 2 squash courts , gymnasium , sauna and bar n restaurant .
the club could hold upto 2000 people and suffered from an electrical fire which damaged 2/3rds of its electricity circuits resulting in its closure in 1991 . the club had also suffered been besieged by groups of upto 50 gypsys who ransacked the place .
It was reported in the WARRINGTON GUARDIAN in august 2000 that a request had been submitted by the present owner christine lewis to the home secretary jack straw that the club would make a good detention centre to house upto 450 asylum seekers as the government were looking for suitable sites in the northwest to house such people . mrs lucas was desperate to make some money from the club and saw the homeoffice as a possible way out for the fast going downhill club . locals did not feel the same way and blocked this intention , to this day the club lies in a sorry state and is only frequently visited by the odd urban explorer .

THE VISIT- i found this place totally by accident while trying to take a shortcut home as i was new to the area , i visited with my derping partner @Cazel#HT and a non member , as you will see from the pics there is not that much inside to see and is in an advanced case of decay , climbing up the long staircase upto the roof was a bit scary as the steel handrail was not in the best of nick !

THE PICS - as usual i used my trusty canon 10-18mm wide angled lens , enjoy the pics folks !

cclub2edbd0.jpg

cclub156a523.jpg

cclub14e6b5d.jpg

cclub18203cf.jpg

cclub1760973.jpg

cclub16682f3.jpg

cclub2083a9c.jpg

cclub1906f05.jpg

cclub13b4d2b.jpg

cclub12ff3d9.jpg

cclub114ef00.jpg

cclub9b202f.jpg

cclub1033a51.jpg

cclub3fa4dd.jpg

cclub78c3c9.jpg

cclub8db2c2.jpg

cclub4c9efe.jpg

cclub539fc3.jpg

cclub6b161c.jpg

cclub133c51.jpg

tigger

mog
Regular User
Didn't realise it was still standing.

History not quite correct.

The site was part of the Royal Navy Aircraft Training Establishment Risley from being built until being paid off in 1947. Specifically it was HMS Gosling Camp 5. After that it was used as a general service accomodation site and for staff involved in running down the nearby Ordnance site.

HMS Gosling Camp 3 was the one used as a transit camp for Burtonwood (all US military sites here are hosted by the RAF hence that one being given an RAF designation for a while post WW2).

scotty markfour

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Didn't realise it was still standing.

History not quite correct.

The site was part of the Royal Navy Aircraft Training Establishment Risley from being built until being paid off in 1947. Specifically it was HMS Gosling Camp 5. After that it was used as a general service accomodation site and for staff involved in running down the nearby Ordnance site.

HMS Gosling Camp 3 was the one used as a transit camp for Burtonwood (all US military sites here are hosted by the RAF hence that one being given an RAF designation for a while post WW2).
i kind of knew the history i put up of this place was sketchy and not that accurate @tigger , so thanks for filling in the inaccuracies .

Brihypron

28DL Member
28DL Member
does anyone know if this place has some new owner, i cant find anything online, but so friends went in there recently and the was two guys in there. they caught my friends and took their pictures and got there names but only threatened to call the police. Apparently one of them had a shotgun. if anyone know anything, i would appreciate it.

Luke91_

28DL Member
28DL Member
It is still there, i visited a couple of days ago, although i couldn't find a way inside!

If you come from the front of the place and make your way around to the back, there was a door there I think, however it's been bricked up. You can recognise is because there is a slit that you can see inside which is stretched like 80 cm across and there is a small wooden ledge beneath it. Me and my friends used a bike to use our feet on the ledge and push ourselves up. If you're tall enough though, you won't need anything to help get up. If you still need help, message me:)

Chris_G

28DL Member
28DL Member
I visited this site in September this year (2017). As said, everything is bricked up now, so I couldn't get inside.

The building was originally erected as a WW2 theatre/cinema/dance-hall/entertainment centre for troops (and, I believe, munitions workers) in the area.

It was one of at least FIVE identical theatre buildings in the region. Others included:

1. Padgate College, Fearnhead

Post-war, an emergency Teacher Training College, which later became Padgate College of Education. I was a student there (1967-71) doing my BEd course. A few years before 1967, Derek Newton was appointed Head of Drama & Theatre Studies at the college, and mounted a campaign to prevent the demolition of the building, then largely scruffy and unused. Demolition of it was going to be hugely expensive (parts were bomb-proof), and Lancs C.C. was persuaded to allow the funds to be used for renovation. By the time I arrived there in 1967, the place was in a good state, although plenty of original electrical and other fittings remained.

The projection room became a sound and lighting control gallery; all the scenic flying gear was still in place on the proscenium stage; an orchestra pit had been long boarded over to provide an extended (apron) stage. I was personally involved in improving sound, lighting, communications and electrical systems.

Padgate campus is now part of Chester University (Fearnhead Campus), and the building totally re-renovated to a very high standard as the North West Media Centre - a very professional television studio.

2. Risley Remand Centre

A Google Earth search will reveal another of these buildings, still is use as the gymnasium at RRC.

3. Exhaust pipe factory

I cannot recall the location of this, but during my College time another of these buildings was being used as a factory for making exhaust systems, for Rover (including the P6, Rover '2000' I believe). The name was either Latham or Lathom Exhausts.

4. Pig farm

A further semi-abandoned theatre was being used (again in the late 'sixties) as a shelter and feeding area for a herd of pigs. Unable to recall location.

All these buildings were of almost identical 'standard' design, and erected sturdily and quickly. It is possible that there are more still in other parts of the UK.

Hope of interest!