real time web analytics
Report - - Glebe House, Kirkmabreck Quarry - June 2017 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Glebe House, Kirkmabreck Quarry - June 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Tee-pot

28DL Member
28DL Member
Apologies for rubbishy pictures and if badly written (this is my first!)

History
The main building itself is named Glebe house and dates bad to around the mid 19th century. If only these walls could speak, over the years it has seen multiple disastrous blasting accidents, the worst being in 1939 when over 1000 tonnes of rock fell, causing damage to neighbouring villages. For a good amount of its life the house it was used to house the management for the Kirkmabreck quarry, which is close to where it is situated (this is clear by all the granite lying around the grounds). It was later used as offices for the quarry, this was up until around 1990 when the quarry closed down, leaving most staff redundant. The owners of the land occasionally visit the site to pick through the granite, however the house and others small outbuilding (that may have housed other staff) has been left to perish as selling may lead to inconvenience for the company using the quarry. (This is a real shame in my opinion)

The Explore
Explored by myself on a sunny Sunday afternoon, as pretty lonely due to the other half running off with the blonde from down the road (quite literally). The main house was rather well hidden in a wood and did take some perseverance. It was pretty well fenced off, but CCTV was definitely not a problem out there. Once found at first it did seem to be in quite good nick, with all entrances well boarded up, with only a few small holes to get in by. Lots of rubble and glass scattered outside and it wasn't much better on the inside. After climbing in through a rather high up window I discovered the floor which had obviously been wooden was almost completely rotted away, as was the second floor which had caved in due to damp from missing tiles on the roof. Most rooms were tightly locked and with the condition of the first I decided this may be a bit of a lost cause. Went on to explore a few other outbuilding that that were close by, these seemed to be made from the quarries granite so may have been built a little later, although the condition was not much better. Nature has definitely reclaimed this site. The quarries crusher can also be found just across the road from the main site although there isn't much to see apart from what in assuming is the original gate and some large blocks of granite. Also pictured is an older picture of the quarry pools, which to the dismay of the local police, is perfect for a dip on a hot day!
Very interesting site I found with lots of history, definitely should have taken more pictures. May have to return and try to access the house a little more.

Thanks for having a read!

HSMJSVD.jpg
5ghkagL.jpg
hqNX1PX.jpg
QPzDCMz.jpg
uQwhlUt.jpg
RT8ecBt.jpg
cWUUIwc.jpg
JCGiZW7.jpg
02Xi0a6.jpg
279kGIo.jpg
wkehyhJ.jpg
wX0JEIK.jpg
ObdSty1.jpg
YACBnMs.jpg
GBGHklm.jpg
JzpMtx7.jpg
X0HfX4L.jpg
yF5Zn7C.jpg
E3Dx0Qr.jpg
ziU8R8c.jpg
9fGe96O.jpg
hwt4TME.jpg
oedQLFh.jpg
ernuQif.jpg
aGhyrNj.jpg
Xglnapa.jpg

Last edited:

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have moved this here for now as the photos are not working.

You can't link to photos stored on your own PC, that will never work, you need to upload the photos to an image hosting site and then link to them from there.

Tee-pot

28DL Member
28DL Member
I have moved this here for now as the photos are not working.

You can't link to photos stored on your own PC, that will never work, you need to upload the photos to an image hosting site and then link to them from there.
Thank you for you help!!! Is that okay now?