real time web analytics
Report - - Glen o'Dee Hospital, Banchory - April 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Glen o'Dee Hospital, Banchory - April 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It’s been a while since I've posted a report up so here’s a lesser visited site on the Scottish hospital circuit…

The Nordrach on Dee Hospital was built in 1899 and opened a year later. Banchory’s own Dr David Lawson had visited the Bavarian town of Nordrach with a view to emulating the success of Otto Walther, whose pioneering treatment of infectious diseases relied predominantly on giving the patient complete rest and fresh air until fever subsided.

Banchory was considered a suitable location for this, Scotland’s first sanatorium, owing to its anomalous weather patterns of low rainfall and high sunshine – a characteristic that became evident as we drove through Aberdeenshire under deep blue skies and temperatures of 23 degrees not befitting the early April date.

On arrival, after largely ignoring some unremarkable ancillary buildings in the grounds, we arrived. Three storeys of timber-clad sanatorium, topped with a saddleback roof and extending outwards from a five storey central granite tower, its continental influences heavily apparent. You can certainly see why it was Category A listed back in 1998, and why Griff Rhys Jones and his team were so keen to save it on the BBC’s ‘Restoration’ a few years later.

IMG_7146-2Glen_zpsbwmg9kcc.jpg

By 1928 the sanatorium had closed, reopening in 1934 as the Glen o’Dee Hotel – the second chapter in a chequered history. In 1941 it was requisitioned by the army, and passed to the Red Cross in 1945, once again for its intended use as a Tuberculosis hospital. In 1955 it was handed to the NHS and by 1960 it became a convalescent home. In 1989, shortly before being designated for use of elderly patients, the Grampian Health Board applied for permission to demolish much of it citing structural problems. The balconies were rotten and the second floor no longer in use, but this was only the first of a succession of rejected applications. After it was fully vacated in 1994, applications came and went, with permission finally being granted in 2007 to demolish and rebuild the wooden structure around the retained granite tower. The work however has yet to start.

There was more to see here than I was expecting…

IMG_7017-2Glen_zps3s39duuj.jpg

IMG_7023Glen_zpsuuch6jhs.jpg

IMG_7030Glen_zps9j44kwba.jpg

IMG_7033-2Glen_zpssvygwcjj.jpg

IMG_7039Glen_zpsljjgxq6q.jpg

IMG_7041-2Glen_zpsc1cdwwm6.jpg

IMG_7046-2Glen_zps1fk8g07t.jpg

IMG_7057-2Glen_zpsqut2adkd.jpg

IMG_7053-2Glen_zpstcix2tjw.jpg

IMG_7060-2Glen_zpsr5znncid.jpg

IMG_7065-2Glen_zpshdfigb1b.jpg

IMG_7074-2Glen_zpsg7jhjlcn.jpg

In the kitchens there were some hygiene pledges…

IMG_7077-2Glen_zps6xfc78vl.jpg

The dining hall…

IMG_7086-2Glen_zpszby3tbtg.jpg

And from there you can get to an additional wing on the frontage: the recreation club…

IMG_7081-2Glen_zpsajxr2y8q.jpg

IMG_7080-2Glen_zpsuyrdazpv.jpg

IMG_7087-2Glen_zpsmlawmkkf.jpg

IMG_7091-2Glen_zpsphfnqzs8.jpg

Up the stairs there were plenty of rooms like this…

IMG_7094-2Glen_zpsqvh9aha0.jpg

IMG_7122Glen_zpsfkxd9wbn.jpg

IMG_7096-2Glen_zpsafhfad5z.jpg

And then there was a water tower to climb…

IMG_7102-2Glen_zpskbkbzawo.jpg

IMG_7099-2Glen_zpsvfigigku.jpg

… and a look down onto the recreation club…

IMG_7109Glen_zpsovzo9bx6.jpg

… and a pretty sound roof space…

IMG_7107-2Glen_zpsnd5usose.jpg

So finally a side shot that shows how ramshackle this building has become, but it seems to be in far better condition that its stone counterparts. Hopefully it can be saved and reused…

IMG_7136-2Glen_zpsusqpqzdp.jpg

Worth taking a detour if ever you’re in Aberdeenshire.

Thanks for stopping by :thumb

Last edited:

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one IH, lovely set of pics from you as always :thumb Thought I hadn't seen anything from you in a while, good to see you back again :thumb

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one IH, lovely set of pics from you as always :thumb Thought I hadn't seen anything from you in a while, good to see you back again :thumb

Thank you mate :) Not explored much yet this year... hopefully it'll pick up a bit!

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very good report there i.h that looks a great place.. :thumb

Thanks Lavino. Yeah it was definitely worthwhile. I was surprised at how well it's fared to be honest, but then it's miles away from anywhere and there's a replacement unit been built right behind it.

huey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good report, you've some lovely pics and obviously put some time in. Fantastic building too.

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Still looks a great looking place....nice report and pics :D

Might have to put it on the list ;)

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks everyone :)

Very nice :thumb

I was wondering what state it was in these days, still looks well worth a visit.

I'd say so - I've been in far worse places!

Still looks a great looking place....nice report and pics :D

Might have to put it on the list ;)

Yeah if you're up that way it's certainly worth a couple of hours of your time :D

Brilliant shots right there! Love the one of the staircase and the balcony.

Thanks WildBoyz! I was pretty pleased with how they came out :D