Web
Analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Gleneagles Hotel in Torquay (the inspiration for Fawlty Towers) | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - Gleneagles Hotel in Torquay (the inspiration for Fawlty Towers)

Bertie Bollockbrains

The Spice Must Stop
Regular User
Sounds interesting, from the Daily Mail today:

The future of the world-famous Gleneagles Hotel in Torquay remains uncertain after councillors rejected a plan to convert it into a retirement home.

John Cleese based his iconic sitcom, Fawlty Towers, on the hotel after staying there with the Monty Python team in the 1973.

In fact, former owner Donald Sinclair was said to be the inspiration for erratic boss Basil Fawlty.

Councillors were told at a meeting this week the hotel had ceased trading last month.

A report said the premises were currently vacant and would remain so after owners Oceana Hotels had been unable to find an alternative buyer.

A plan by Churchill Retirement Living to turn it into 36 retirement homes was rejected after councillors criticised the design as bulky and lacking character and distinctiveness.

Right, who here lives near to Torquay?

nosey parker

28DL Member
28DL Member
im sure fawlty towers was based on a place in Torquay but i do no the filming was in a place called wooburn crange it became a nite club in the 70s the club changed its name a couple of times i think towards the end it might of been called fawlty towers it was it was knocked over in the 90s and some houses were built on the plot
just had a look on youtube and found this..... www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATTMLesoweY

Elmside

28DL Member
28DL Member
I recently went there to disconnect two car charging points. They have auctioned everything off and it's now waiting to be demolished. So nows the time to explore it. I had a quick look round but didn't get a proper chance.