real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Glenfield Tunnel, Leicester, Sep15 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Glenfield Tunnel, Leicester, Sep15

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Permission visit on an organised tour.

I have wanted to see this place for a while, as it is the only derelict tunnel in the county I have not been inside, so jumped at the chance to have a tour round here.

Visited with Juju, Lost Explorer & Burb147.

Thanks to the Leicestershire Industrial history society.

Glenfield Tunnel is 1796 yards long and opened in 1832 and closed in 1966.
It was designed by the famous railway engineer George Stephenson and built between 1829–32 under the supervision of his son Robert. At the time of its construction, it was the longest tunnel in the world. In the last 10 years, Leicester council spent a large sum of money reinforcing the tunnel with over 30 concrete arches.

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

Concrete reinforcement arch
IMG_1420.jpg

airshaft
IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

Thanks for looking

Mr Sam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Its a shame they only let you so far in, the paddle through the middle section is good fun especially with no wellies!

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Its a shame they only let you so far in, the paddle through the middle section is good fun especially with no wellies!

It was pretty dry what we saw.
we were taken 400 Mts in; but its better than nothing. This place is usually padlocked up tight.

wasn't easy to take photos with loads of other people there.

ashby tunnel was one of the wettest I've seen. Water was pouring through the roof

pigdog

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
tis a shame that they wont let you do the whole length but its still worth going on 1 of the open days

splodge

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It looks like they are allowing you further in than they used to. I went in here on one of last years tours, and you could go about 60-70 yards in at best, so thats a great improvement. I love this tunnel, I grew up living over it, and have been interested in it ever since, so if they are letting you further inside, I think I will have to do the tour again next year :)