real time web analytics
Report - - Glossop Parish Church, April 2019 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Glossop Parish Church, April 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Glossop Parish Church

There have been several church buildings on the site of the parish church of Old Glossop. The present nave was built in the early twentieth century on the site of a structure dating from 1831 which had in turn replaced a late medieval building.The bell tower was rebuilt in 1854 and the present chancel dates from 1923.
There are a number of items of historical interest inside the church dating back to 1691.
In Paul Bush's publication "Neath Ancient Moss" he makes reference to the vicars of Glossop from C 1250 to 1987 and their contribution to the expansion of the church and the congregations. An incomplete list of vicars and dates can be seen on the wall of the bell tower at the back of the church. Paul Bush also describes the Chancel, south and north aisles and the bells in more detail in his book, which is available to buy in the church.
The churchyard contains gravestones dating back to the 1600's.

@tarkovsky and I were on our way over to Manchester to meet @Esoteric Eric recently when his ancient, non internet powered sat-nav decided to take us on a funny detour. Good job it did, really, as I saw these ladders going up the side of the church. Not only that, they went up the spire as well.

Woah , woah, fuckin woah! Stop the bus!

I'd not bought any gear with me and we hadn't the time to check it out properly so I went back - these things don't usually last long. We'd seen the bottom set of ladders had been removed to stop the vertically challenged among us from having an easy ride. I was psyched - I love a challenge. First time up a spire, too, so soon after Notre Dame. Divine intervention maybe?

I fully expected it to be harder (and have to go hunting for washing line poles, scaff tubes, etc) so went with a back up plan. That wasn't a fail either ;)

If anyone fancies it, go soon and take a camera clamp of some kind and you'll come away some belters. If yer a pussy like me you'll want a harness, a triple length sling and two big bina's.
Hush, hush on the metal ladders, now, it's very residential and not exactly hidden :eek:

Pics are from top to bottom, in case you can't tell and I apologise for the blurriness. I took me tripod up in me jacket but didn't find a suitable spot to set it up - I was hoping to get inside :D

33761159138_6738e95611_b.jpg

47638589251_239c5c47f3_b.jpg

47585805972_bac4ea6f67_b.jpg

47638586861_1ef758476a_b.jpg

33761156258_7d71e7d130_b.jpg

47638583971_fb67a37b56_b.jpg

33761154948_34d5d24baa_b.jpg

47638581821_fb571b69f6_b.jpg

40672035473_283038fa2d_b.jpg

40672034423_3e0a39932c_b.jpg

40672033663_a1ebc05bd3_b.jpg

Nearly forgot about this chap on the way back down - easily done.....

32696033957_2729348bde_b.jpg

47585802492_e7b00541bb_b.jpg

47638573201_24d38cd6ff_b.jpg

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Your reaction when you spotted it from the car was classic! Haha! I have no idea how you made it to the ladder but full marks for going back and getting it done! Think I’d already had enough personal challenges that evening to even begin to think about making it up there. And I like my satnav with it’s unlikely routes - never know what you’re gonna find next! Good work!

tallginge

Regular User

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
That pic from the top is awesome. No fancy dress tho? Oh and this reminded me that that chimney needs doing soon too.

Last edited:

tallginge

Regular User

tallginge

Regular User
Nice :thumbEggborough from Ferrybridge :cool: You've seen the rung on that ladder, right? :eek: Suppose it's still 'safe', I wonder how the timber came off though? And who was below it when it did!

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Quality this man. Looks a bit of a challenge getting to that ladder. Id deffo be a pussy with a harness. Stiff like this grims me out. Hats off to you dude.

tallginge

Regular User
Id deffo be a pussy with a harness.

There's some brave folk out there that wouldn't wear one i'm sure. They're only ladders and the top one's aren't even vertical :D Back when men were men they'd not think twice about doing this - harnesses were never used. And they'd do it after five pints. And still get paid

Wow, I underestimated the height of that first ladder from the ground when you told me!

Yeah man, bit like slim pickings, looks harder from afar. And from that camera angle ;) Them brackets were very useful and couldn't have been better placed. Still needed go go gadget arms though. I've found where they've hidden the ladders now and that doesn't look as difficult to get to :D

Something I could only (a)spire to...

Very good :thumb:thumb:thumb