real time web analytics
Report - - Goblin Ha' / Yester Castle , Gifford, Scotland. January 2017 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Goblin Ha' / Yester Castle , Gifford, Scotland. January 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Hiddenscotsman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History - Yester Castle is a ruined castle, located 1.5 miles (2.4 km) south east of the village of Gifford in East Lothian, Scotland. The only remaining complete structure is the subterranean Goblin Ha' or Hobgoblin Ha' (Goblin Hall).

Sir Hugo de Giffard was known as the 'Wizard of Yester', and was considered to be a powerful warlock and necromancer. It is in the undercroft of the castle that he was thought to practise his sorcery. 15th century chronicler Walter Bower mentions the large cavern in Yester Castle, thought locally to have been formed by magical artifice: "Hugo Giffard dominus de Zester moritur, cujus castrum, vel saltem caveam et dongionem, arte demoniacula antiquae relationes fuerunt fabricatas. Nam ibidem habetur mirabilis specus subterraneus opere mirifico constructus, magno terrarum spacio protelatus, quie communiter 'Bohall' appellatus est". (Scotichronicon, Liber X, cap. 21). Legend supposed that Hugo was able, via a pact with the Devil, to raise a magical army to his aid, and use them to carry out his will. It is this army of hobgoblins that was considered the builders of Yester Castle.

Another cold and wet day derping (Its Scotland give me a break). We made our way to Gifford golf course where i was met by a pleasant gentleman (Golf Course Manager) i never even got to ask where the vault was he just said "looking for Goblin Ha, Head down here for 1 mile and that's you, so happy days off we went down a very wet field, we enter the castle via an old bridge and was greeted with a very cool 13th century ruin, to the rear of the castle was a free standing wall with a door through to a winding path down a hill. We made our way down and found a cast iron gate which we moved to one side. What we found was mind blown and some amount of work considering it was built in the 13th century. we spent about 3hrs taken snaps. enjoy

39151150504_4b4ca4fa4a_c.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/22DDTWG] 39151153544_fed0cc3915_c.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FAttAj] 25988035658_572b67ff83_c.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23FyjyC] 39829055452_feec792067_c.jpg

39829058412_a51d50e879_c.jpg
[/url][/url][/url]

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice. Isnt it owned by a heritage or council? I would have though such an old historic 15th century castle would be secured to the hilt. But I enjoyed this, nice wonder I bet

Hiddenscotsman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice. Isnt it owned by a heritage or council? I would have though such an old historic 15th century castle would be secured to the hilt. But I enjoyed this, nice wonder I bet
TBH mate im not sure maybe the golf course owns it, like is said the manager of the club was more than happy to point me in the right direction, gonna head back there soon as it was a cool area to walk about

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
TBH mate im not sure maybe the golf course owns it, like is said the manager of the club was more than happy to point me in the right direction, gonna head back there soon as it was a cool area to walk about

Sounds like a perfect mooch mate, nice work

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good shots man, I do like this place, nice wander on a sunny day. Get some of your old asylum pics edited and posted now please! :D