real time web analytics
Report - - Godstone Main Series Mine (November 2016) | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Godstone Main Series Mine (November 2016)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Dora Grew Up

Banned
Banned
Visited with @UrbanZ and @Minor.

Right, @UrbanZ and @Minor will probably have a fit when they see I've finally written a report, but I did say I'd do one eventually.

Explore

I first visited Godstone Main Series earlier this year with a friend, and was absolutely blown away by how easy it was to lose yourself. Cue a long overdue revisit, this time with @UrbanZ and @Minor and we spent hours in the place. May have accidentally on purpose lost @UrbanZ for an hour or so towards the end. Found him enjoying a beer by the entrance, clearly in his element, having taken it upon himself to "organise" exploration equipment we'd taken before the next explore (which didn't actually end up happening).

Historical bit

(taken from various websites);

The Godstone Main Series Mine is one of five systems which made up "The Godstone Quarries" in the 18th century, where "firestone" (flint) was mined. The mines date back to the early 17th century, though collapses and cave-ins have made many areas inaccessible. There is evidence of excavation work in the mine (mini shovels, cut open jerry cans and wheeled buckets work wonders apparently!).

The diminished need for flint in the 19th century actually gave way to a more colourful history for the mine, with it apparently being used by mushroom farmers, and later as an air raid shelter (though not officially) by the people of Godstone. The graffiti in the place was definitely varied, but I most loved seeing artifacts at near enough every corner!

Onto the pictures, iPhone grade of course (and proud).

img.jpg

img.jpg

img.jpg
img.jpg
img.jpg
img.jpg
img.jpg
img.jpg
img.jpg
img.jpg
img.jpg
img.jpg
img.jpg
img.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Dora Grew Up

Banned
Banned
I'm guessing this was a permission visit with wcms as that entrance is kept secured? it's nice down there and not a bad size either.
You may want to rotate a few of your photos, then edit the links as they are sideways. :thumb
Cheers Obsurity. First report, so will definitely have a play around with the pictures. Certainly is one of my favourites, glad to have been down there again.