real time web analytics
Question - - Good GPS? | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Good GPS?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

huey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey,thinking of buying a GPS system,for those rely difficult to find,overgrown places. Does anyone have experience of using one? Must be noob proof. Can I get co-ordinates off google earth and just enter in? Or what about satnav/gps combined job?
Thanks in advance,H

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Yes, I've used them for various bits and bobs. At the basic level, a Garmin etrex would do the job. If you right click on anything in Google maps, it gives you the lat-long that you need.

Satnav uses exactly the same 'system' except for it won't guide you in, like a dedicated non-auto device. A GPS equipped phone will also do the job, especially with a few well picked apps. However, GPS on phones rinses the battery hard.

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
I use ViewRanger on my phone, you can buy OS map tiles for it (both landranger and Explorer series) which is dead handy and it runs offline so doesn't rely on your 3G. It's not that bad on my phone for battery life, you get a good 6-8 hours of use and for more I just have one of those plug in chargers which extends it's life quite a bit. It's fantastic for finding foot paths and checking you're still on track if it's not clearly marked - I used it the other day for just that, and you can drop pins to mark your current location on the map, and it will track your journey - I use it for cycling quite a lot as it displays a load of nice stats for you.

However its let down is the GPS receiver on my phone is no match for a dedicated device, they tend to pick up the satellites much more easily than most phones do. I guess it depends what you're going to use it for and how much you want to spend. Viewranger in it's basic form is free, you only pay for the map tiles you want for it. If you have a phone with GPS it's worth giving it a try first and see if it suits what you want to use it for.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
I got a Tomtom 40 which takes GPS co-ordinates and will calculate walking routes; very useful. Works really well. For finding muddy holes I use my phone GPS & Google Maps.

huey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for reply so far everyone,still a bit confused over maps for the gps. Leaning towards Garmin as I know they are compatable with Google earth (no having to edit co-ordinates in like some brands,just copy straight in,) read that cheap models only come with cheap road type map. Think this means I would then have to buy expensive,more detailed map pack? Or do I need a map pack at all if just using it for taking me to location entered from Google earth?
My phone signal is crap,struggle with that whilst others don't so that's why I'm leaning towards dedicated unit.
Thanks for input so far,hopefully can come up with the definitive,reasonably priced,easy to use,urb solution!

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I use an android samsung galaxy S2 with locus pro that allows you to download maps and use them offline but I also have mmtracker on the phone that uses all of the memory maps and is excellent, fortunately I got all of the UK topo landranger maps on 4 dvds a while ago and just drop straight onto the phone, I used mmtracker for geocaching and walking, still on a phone but I have never struggled getting a GPS fix on the galaxy s2. Having said that I have seen an etrex in the flesh and was impressed but again you still need the maps because the one I saw only came with a base map.

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The etrex is just a simple screen, hi-def maps would be pointless, and probably impossible.

Ahh well that will be why it only had a basemap, I was impressed with the compass and it could load the geocaching files straight onto it which was really cool And it was yellow and black which means it was no doubt rugged and probably waterproof too :)

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Yep, they are rugged and waterproof. I had one for geocaching for years. Sold it when I got a GPS phone with the geocaching app etc. Brilliant combo - in theory - but kills the battery in an hour and fairly lame GPS performance.

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Definitely the biggest drawback with using a phone is the battery life, especially with the display set to stay on when the app is running, perhaps a dedicated unit may be the way to go if using it regularly for long periods. Deep pockets may required but its a gadget so justified Of Course lol.

Dark Prince

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Currently using a Garmin etrex 30. Bought it mainly as you can use it with OS maps. Works ok but to buy the maps cost mega bucks. I tend to use it in conjunction with a paper OS. Next unit i get will use Memory Map, have got the whole country in that format!. For ease of use though an Etrex is ok. We use them with the cubs/scouts for geocaching with no issues.

huey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Have decided try mobile phone app first,worried about signal but can only try. As Maniac correctly says,depends on how much use its going to get and how much you want to spend...have downloaded Polaris on Android,got my co-ordinance points off google (cheers OT) ready for local trial Monday on day off. Can't justify £300 + for dedicated GPS. Should have known bargain bin special would be too good to be true...thanks everyone again.

The Franconian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'd like to get me a handheld GPS, maybe the
Garmin eTrex 10
which is 100 euros in local shops and 88 on Amazon

my needs:
-find location by geodata (an arrow should show me direction and distance)
-for walking to find way, cycling maybe
-store location

I found it only uses a basic map, but I don't know what that means for my needs.
got only small money and no Iphone yet

-what do you think?
-has anybody this in use (the °10) ?
-any for sale for cheap ?

thanks

p.s.
for now I'm using homeprinted google map screenshots
in combination with more or less detailed paper maps (road atlas)

Who has read this thread (Total: 2) View details