Web
Analytics
Question - - Good lenses for underground/dark places | Photography and Video Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Good lenses for underground/dark places

WelshMoocher

Where'd the floor go?
28DL Full Member
Hi all,

Can I seek some advice please?

I've got a Canon DSLR (700D), and wanted to know the best general lens for underground/dark places please?

I currently have 18-55 IS (Kit)
70-300 f/4 - 5.6
50mm Prime f/1.8

Any tips?

Thanks,

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
Most people go for a wide angle lens. For crop sensors, like the 700D, the Tokina 11-16mm lens is well recommended. I had one and loved it. Pretty decent price too. It's a constant f2.8 too so pretty wide open it will let lots of light in. But saying that, being underground you really need a tripod and once you learn how to use the settings for long exposures you can use most lenses.

WelshMoocher

Where'd the floor go?
28DL Full Member
Doesn't really matter underground, the important thing is a tripod and how well you can light the place.
Thanks, I've got two tidy tripods, and I use a Lenser p7.2 for light painting, and can flood fill with two high-power LED off camera units. Just looking for the right lens now :)

WelshMoocher

Where'd the floor go?
28DL Full Member
Most people go for a wide angle lens. For crop sensors, like the 700D, the Tokina 11-16mm lens is well recommended. I had one and loved it. Pretty decent price too. It's a constant f2.8 too so pretty wide open it will let lots of light in. But saying that, being underground you really need a tripod and once you learn how to use the settings for long exposures you can use most lenses.
Thanks for the info, just had a browse on e-bay, some nice prices on there!

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
I have a similar Camera, and as WhoDaresWins has recommended, I also run the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8.
Have been very pleased with it so far :)
I know a couple of people who run a Sigma 10-20 and they seem to be pretty good

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
I asked this forum a year ago, and had some good suggestions and advise then.
Went with the Tokina, but the genuine Canon was a good contender too

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Photography and Video Forum 21