real time web analytics
Report - - “Goodbye my friend” Dukes Nightclub– Chelmsford – Jan 2016 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - “Goodbye my friend” Dukes Nightclub– Chelmsford – Jan 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mockney reject

Staff member
The history

Bit of a personal one this as I use to frequent dukes most weekends and the occasional week night. It was a big deal when they closed the doors finally in 2012.

Dukes was a nightclub based in Duke street and synonymous with Chelmsford's nightlife since 1982.

Back in the glory days of Dukes you would see queues round the block and people would come from all over southern England for a night’s excitement

But all things change and we live in different times now. A combination of the 24-hour licensing laws and the smoking ban has hurt the pub and club industry.

Dukes played a very prominent part in the entertainment scene in Essex.

Dukes had a few revamps over the years with the name changing from Dukes, to The Dukes Experience and finally Dukes Genesis before it eventually closed.

I remember 20 years ago, my parents went away for their wedding anniversary and I decided to take my sister and her mates to Dukes for the night, although if the truth be known they kinda bullied me into it. They were all underage, but typically tarted themselves up so they looked over 18. We had a great night and danced away ‘til it closed. We thought we had got away with mum and dad not knowing until a few weeks later mum found the paper with the taxi numbers on and the postcode for Dukes. Oopps we got told off lol.

I have many many memories of Dukes and had some great times there, but now for the explore…

The Explore

If you’re local you will have seen on social media this week the pictures of Dukes with the bull dozer in the middle and the inners smashed to bits, we were lucky we made it in the before the bulldozers

I had mentioned this one to our lot a number of times, always to be met with, it’ll be shit, it’s not doable etc etc. Well in the early hours of the morning and part of our first explore of the new year we gave it a go.

Well well well it was after all doable, and relatively easily too.

One of our group like me was a Dukes regular, as we walked in it all came flooding back, the various bars, the dancer’s platform, the dancefloor cage. It was all a bit over whelming and very nostalgic.

Thoughts of dancing with this girl and that girl here and there and snogging under the infamous Dukes stairs or on one of the many couches dotted around the club came back. Needless to say we were both grinning away with stories we could tell.

It was amazing to see what had been left inside, Dj equipment, Booze, Lights, projectors etc. We even joked about opening it up for the night. Dukes was a great place and very much loved by my generation RIP The Duke.

As I sit and type this Snap’s song Rhythm is a dancer has come on the radio. A proper Dukes Anthem, Please enjoy the pics as I have a little dance and remind myself that I was young once….

dukes%201_zpseng2ojoz.jpg

dukes%202_zpsq4uly0gj.jpg

dukes%203_zpsync3w096.jpg

dukes%205_zps19bai6fs.jpg

dukes%206_zps7bvn7bze.jpg

dukes%207_zpsmfhzpbdi.jpg

dukes%208_zpstbffyqfc.jpg

dukes%209_zpssiazvdsk.jpg

dukes%2010_zpsg4lingvp.jpg

dukes%2011_zpsb1i6zanl.jpg

dukes%2012_zpsblvgxkt2.jpg

dukes%2013_zpsiqtlkvga.jpg

dukes%2014_zpsoaeaxrcw.jpg

dukes%2015_zps9zubddaz.jpg

dukes%2016_zpsvaimg7bs.jpg

dukes%2017_zpszvmgne6x.jpg

dukes%2018_zpsvcbhysno.jpg

dukes%2019_zpskwm08aqi.jpg

dukes%2020_zps06cq4xp1.jpg

dukes%2021_zpskswifbn7.jpg

dukes%2022_zpsjejqh6gp.jpg

dukes%2023_zpsrcsgbnr9.jpg

dukes%2024_zpshhoeacy8.jpg

dukes%2025_zpsdimgrf6n.jpg

dukes%2026_zpsrlabrb9x.jpg

dukes%2027_zpsmq6jet9f.jpg

dukes%2028_zps3goksqd0.jpg

dukes%2029_zpsr8wnslst.jpg

dukes%2030_zpsckprowye.jpg

Mdj101

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'd love to know how you got in. Last time I was in there wasn't that long ago and all the doors where still chained shut and the alarm was still active.

Mdj101

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh. I was a DJ there from '94 until it closed. Was such a sad day when they finally closed the doors. A lot of happy memories and some great friends made.

The upstairs office was the cash office. The projector that was on the side was the main projector ove the dance floor. There were about a dozen smaller ones too. But when that projector was installed in the last refit (2000) it cost over £50,000

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Good report and sad to see the decline of UK night clubs, it's not been the same really since the Haç closed it's doors in 1997 :p

Anyway who needs nightclubs when you can purchase 4 x 500ml Kronies for £4 and GOINDRAINS

RIP :coat

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
Anyway who needs nightclubs when you can purchase 4 x 500ml Kronies for £4 and GOINDRAINS

4 x wife beater for a nugget under a Lady Godiva? Fahkin' are you pullin' me pissa?

crazyjonhere

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I see a Sanyo PLC-XF10NZ projector in one of the pics they were worth about 12k brand new and can still fetch a fair bit today amazing bit of kit Just amazing how things just get chucked away somebody got a bargain there if it still worked Great report and what a find well done

Last edited:

Mdj101

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The projector was nearer £50k when it was installed in 2000. It was an upgraded one I believe had different lense and optics or something. I know the bulbs used to cost about 1k or something rediculous like that.